Hello everyone — R Voice

Hello everyone

“Hello! My name is Omololu Fagbdebo. I am a Research Associate and contract lecturer at the Durban University of Technology, South Africa. I currently live in Pietermaritzburg, the capital city of KwaZulu-Natal Province, South Africa. My research areas are public governance, Public institutions, legislative and presidential studies, and African politics and government. 

What I like best about my work is that I am able to plan my time and set goals without unnecessary interruptions. I love working at my pace and space.  

When I’m not working, I like to listen to gospel music and audio Bible.

It’s great to be here. And I look forward to getting to know each of you better 😊” 

One thing at a time

Comments

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 175 admin

Hello @Omololu FAGBADEBO - Nice to meet you! Thank you for introducing yourself. You made me slightly envious when you said this:

What I like best about my work is that I am able to plan my time and set goals without unnecessary interruptions. I love working at my pace and space.  

On a more serious note, I am happy to hear that you have (and enjoy) the flexibility you need with your work. We all know how disrupting interruptions can get. And I am looking forward to hearing your life experiences as a researcher as well!

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 513 admin
    edited September 29

This is amazing @Omololu FAGBADEBO! It's lovely to meet you "again". And I'm so glad that the introduction template came handy 😃

Even though we've had several conversations here on R Voice, I've still learned something new about you because of this Meet & Greet. I knew you were based in South Africa but didn't know the finer details. I just looked up Pietermaritzburg - what a beautiful city! 🙂

I too like to work at my own pace and plan my time well. It really helps to manage stress and then I know exactly what I'm doing on any given day as soon as I begin. I go so far as to create a to-do list for the next day on the prior evening. Is this something you do too?

Music is my go-to when I go for my evening walks. It helps to calm me after a long day of work ☺️

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

Yes, @Andrea Hayward . I have my to-do list on my table and reviewed it every morning. Pietermaritzburg is a pleasant city, provided you know how to manage yourself and not become vulnerable to attacks by criminals.

One thing at a time

• Omololu FAGBADEBO

@Jayashree Rajagopalan. I understand your sentiment. I have to deliberately create the space to avert any trouble, as I quietly walk away from anything capable of disrupting my plans. I like to flow in my thoughts and opened myself up for interactions. But when it's becoming toxic, I withdraw to my shelf.

One thing at a time

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 175 admin

That's a great approach @Omololu FAGBADEBO - I'm going to follow your strategy the next time I am finding it tough to focus and feel like I could do with a change in approach.

• Andrea Hayward

Oh gosh! I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you and your loved ones are safe and sound amidst all the chaos 😔

• Omololu FAGBADEBO

Thanks, @Andrea Hayward . That is South Africa for you and everyone is conscious of the security challenge everywhere. Caution is the word of wisdom!

One thing at a time

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭

hi @Omololu FAGBADEBO Maybe we have exchanged our thoughts before? But, here then I know you detail. I am interested on the conversation between you and @Jayashree Rajagopalan in this introduction page of yours about "I am able to plan my time and set goals without unnecessary interruptions". Well, honestly say, no interruption no cry, man! 😂

Anyway, welcome to the community. Hopefully you'll more enjoy your days.

• Omololu FAGBADEBO

Thanks, @Yufita Chinta . Yes, interruptions are part of life's challenges. Nevertheless, we have a measure of control in determining the extent to which such interruption could hamper our normal course activities.

One thing at a time

• Andrea Hayward

@Omololu FAGBADEBO your wise words "interruptions are part of life's challenges" have really helped me get through this morning with a calm mind. I intended to start my day early and complete a big chunk of pending work. Unfortunately, my allergies started acting up and things didn't quite go as planned. Usually, I'd be quite upset and irritated and feeling guilty over losing time and not sticking to plan. But I thought about what you said on this thread and started feeling much better. Taking the day as it comes to me now, interruptions and all! Thank you 😊

• Omololu FAGBADEBO

Thank you, @Andrea Hayward . Our human feelings, oftentimes, do becloud us of the reality that it is only the mentally balanced academic that is capable of making meaningful contributions to knowledge. In as much as we express the eagerness to clear our tables of outstanding assignments or targets when interruptions come, we should realize it is a way of a reminder of the need to apply the brake of caution and reflect on the implications of our overloaded schedules on our mental health.

One thing at a time

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163 admin

Hey @Omololu FAGBADEBO! While I have read some of your previous posts on R Voice, I feel this post helped me know you so much better! I too love working at my own pace and time. Stress affects my health, and I have suffered quite a few medical conditions earlier because of stress, which is why I've learnt (perhaps the hard way) to not stretch myself super thin. I pace out my work and don't mind putting in a few extra hours if required over weekends, but I make sure I get enough sleep, have fixed meal times, and exercise every other day at least.

vI too love listening to music - my day begins and ends with music. I listen to music in the morning as I sip my tea and after work when I go for my evening walk. Music makes me feel so relaxed :)

• Omololu FAGBADEBO

Good to read from you again, @Kakoli Majumder . Yes, most of us learned so late to realize that we need good health to be super productive. It took me a while to disentangle myself from that mentality. As academics, committed to research and teaching, we need that space of self-consciousness of our mental health. Stay safe and keep well, @Kakoli Majumder

One thing at a time