Inspiration behind the research: "I got into research because..." — R Voice

Inspiration behind the research: "I got into research because..."

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 455 admin
edited September 6 in Everything & Anything

Happy Monday R Voice family! 🙂

I know we all tend to be a little low on motivation and energy on the first day of the week. So in order to lift our spirits, I thought we could all use a reminder about why we started out along our academic journeys in the first place. Let's start the week by completing the following sentence --

"I got into research because ____________________________"

I want to hear about your research inspiration or the reason behind you choosing to pursue your current research area. Let's go! 🤩

Comments

• IKENNA EMMANUEL
    IKENNA EMMANUEL Member Posts: 5
    edited September 6

As a healthcare professional, my job lies in providing care for my patients. Following the many disease conditions prevalent in a developing country like mine with incidences of diseases (communicable and non-communicable alike), my passion is to find a way in meeting and mitigating the health needs.

My research is on 'Ocular health', a field in Optometry that takes into cognizance the pathologies that affect the human eye(ocular system). With the ever increasing plague of avoidable blindness, my interest is to provide a database on how these diseases affect the population and consequently affect the economic impact on livelihood. This will help in structuring a plan to meeting the needs of severely affected communities and providing treatment regimens to quell any further deterioration.

The eye is central in the body as many systemic conditions can be detected via the ocular system.

In keeping with SDG3, this is important as good health (good vision) is requisite for productivity. Without which, activities can be impaired.

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Thank you, @Andrea Hayward, for this teaser. I got into research because I want to contribute to the expansion of the frontiers of knowledge, in the area of socio-economic and political developments, for the overall growth and emancipation of society. I am passionate about development issues because a healthy society will motivate citizens to explore their full potential for self and collective development.

One thing at a time

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

@Andrea Hayward thank you for this question. I got into research because I love to discover and I want to contribute my own skills in building my nation Nigeria.

• Hong Ching Goh
    Hong Ching Goh Member Posts: 26 ✭✭

I first, enjoyed the process of conducting research especially empirical research that involves field work as a team. I then slowly find myself become so much passionate and inspired to help to improve the socio-economic involvement and engagement of the local communities and the way that I could help is also to empower them and build their capacity in research, assisting them in getting community grants, train them in citizen science. What I really believe is that, if the intention is on the right path, the whole universe would help you to accomplish that you want to achieve, with blessing or blessing in disguise. Perseverance and reflection are always the keys.

• FAROOQ RATHORE
    FAROOQ RATHORE Member Posts: 9

I will be honest. My entry into research wasn't because of some divine inspiration or a desire to change the world or win a Nobel prize or unlock the secret to immortality, etc... It was pretty basic and simple.

I have loved reading and writing since an early age ( All credit goes to my father for the support ). I used to write for the local newspaper and also for my college magazine. When I joined my residency training in Rehabilitation Medicine in 2005, my father once casually commented: Farooq! You should write articles for these International scientific journals

And I was like

I told him that this was a thing for the big professors and senior physicians. Being a non-physician he could not understand that this requires a lot of effort and training. Still, he said, I would be happy to see you publish.

And Yes, this was my main motivation for research and writing. I already enjoyed the process of writing. Now I wanted to make my father happy. But I was confused ( like most of my colleagues) and had to deal with a lot of patients, ward rounds, and nasty looks from my supervisor for not doing the right thing at the right time.

In Oct 2005 earthquake suddenly there were hundreds of patients with Spinal Cord Injury ( the largest documented number in a single natural disaster). Most of them came to the institute where I was training. During this chaotic time, I was casually asked by some seniors to collect data which I started. Somehow I got connected to a Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine in the USA and I wrote my first article. There was no looking back after that. I made my father happy, my supervisors proud and then went on to mentor dozens of colleagues and students to conduct research and publish in good biomedical journals.

16 years after starting my journey in research and writing, I am very satisfied that I was able to make a positive difference in my patient's life, contribute to the prestige and ranking of my country and help my colleagues start the journey of research and writing.

• Andrea Hayward

@IKENNA EMMANUEL thank you so much for sharing this. Your research inspiration is so admirable. Especially now, when the world has been so dependent on healthcare professionals, I can only imagine how much more difficult the job of mitigating health concerns has become. Plus, I see that you're looking much further into the future and are trying to plan for largescale healthcare improvements in communities that need it the most. I've never really considered how disease or infection (aside from the COVID-19 pandemic) across a community could impact productivity and have negative economic consequences. But I'm starting to see what you mean. Could you give me an example of a non-pandemic situation having such effects?

• Andrea Hayward

Always a pleasure hearing from you @Omololu FAGBADEBO. After all of our interactions on R Voice until now, I was convinced that your research inspiration would certainly have one aspect -- depth. And after reading you comment, I can see that my assumption was spot on. ☺️

We're very fortunate to have passionate, wise minds like yours working towards expanding the frontiers of knowledge! If you had to pick, which development issues would you say need the most urgent attention and intervention?

• Andrea Hayward

👏👏 @Adaora Anyichie - Odis always paving the way for a better tomorrow :)

• Andrea Hayward
    edited September 7

@FAROOQ RATHORE what a story! In just a few days, I feel like you've taken the R Voice Community by storm and I'm loving reading your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this 😊

I wouldn't call your research inspiration basic or simple at all. I feel like it stems from a very strong desire to help people - both through your work as well as through sharing the knowledge you've gained. I'm so glad that you received so much support and encouragement from a close family member. That can be such a powerful driving force, even if they don't entirely understand academia or the research space.

I think you're one of the few people I've interacted with who genuinely like and enjoy the process of academic writing and that's a strength by itself. I'm glad that you didn't allow the initial phase of confusion to discourage you because you've gone on to do such impactful work and positively affect your patients' lives. I'm sure you've been a beacon of hope to all them, and continue to pave the path for your colleagues and mentees as well. Congratulations on everything! 😊

P.S. The funny image of the baby was a great addition! 😄

• Andrea Hayward

@Hong Ching Goh it's been a while since I've seen you here on R Voice. It's lovely to see you again :)

I had no idea you were doing such great work to help local communities. I'd love to learn more about this. For instance, what does getting a community grant involve? I'd also love to hear an example of a citizen science project you're empowering local communities to contribute to.

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

@Andrea Hayward, thank you for your compliments. There is a need for effective public service delivery. This is central to development in my state. The major victim of corruption in service delivery. Thus, effective anti-corruption drives would guarantee transparency and accountability in public policy. When public institutions operate within the context of their constitutional/statutory responsibilities, delivery of essential public services would increase citizens' satisfaction with and confidence in the government.

One thing at a time

• Hong Ching Goh

it has been fun and fulfilling too. Basically we co-design and co-develop ideas with the locals and from there on to support them by providing inputs and feedback to the community grants. It has to be built on trust and also no personal interest but to help the communities.

• Andrea Hayward

This is amazing @Hong Ching Goh! These communities are incredibly lucky to have your support and guidance ❤️

• Hong Ching Goh

it really takes two to tango, I am really lucky to have found them who are willing to trust in us!