How about we focus on celebrating the small wins for a change? — R Voice

How about we focus on celebrating the small wins for a change?

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 454 admin

I came across this tweet earlier today and it got me thinking -- we're constantly working towards big wins, big achievements, and big successes. And while there's nothing wrong with that, we tend to forget the small wins that are equally important. In fact, their the stepping stones that lead us to the final big win. These deserve to be acknowledged and celebrated too!

So today, I want to encourage the community to share a small win -- it could be literally anything that you've achieved today ("too small" is not a concept here).

What's your small win for today? Tell me in the comments - Let's celebrate together! 😊

Comments

• Andrea Hayward

I'd like to go first. Here are some of my small wins today:

• Woke up after a single alarm ring 😅 (It was cold and cozy so this is definitely a win for me!)
    • Ate a healthy breakfast
    • Didn't feel any pain in my lower back, after 2 weeks of terrible back pain 🤩
    • Had a very insightful conversation with a complete stranger on Twitter ❤️
    • Made 3 new connections for a new project I'm working on 😎
    • Ordered the perfect birthday gift for a close friend 😊

• Andrea Hayward
    edited September 1
  • Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

Making us face the harsh truths again, @Andrea Hayward !

Your wins feel like such big ones, especially when they are all added up. I guess that's the point, right? A day of many little wins is as good if not better than a single big win :) I love that your wins are varied between personal/social/work.

Honestly, today I feel like getting out of bed and dressed was an achievement for me. Things have been pretty slow/demotivating workwise/lifewise recently and I'm just a bit fed up.

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner "A day of many little wins is as good if not better than a single big win" - LOVE this! Going to tweet it when you least expect it. Please expect a notification soon. Hoping it will brighten your day 😃

I hadn't noticed that my wins were so varied until you pointed it out. Guess I was having a good day, thank you! :)

Getting out of bed and getting dressed are big wins these days. So I wouldn't sweat it at all. Our best looks different on different days and we shouldn't allow our best from last week or the week before that make us feel bad about our best this week or today. They all count and it was still us doing everything we could, yes?

Sorry to hear that things have been a little slow and demotivating for you lately :( Hopefully better days are just around the corner. Sending you hugs and strength to keep you company until you get there. 🤗

• Shruti Turner

Haha - I love it. I'm sure I'll very much need the tweet when I see it, that seems to be the way with us 😂

Thank you for the hugs and strength! Even today is a better day..just trying to keep myself occupied. Wednesdays are my favourite days (I realise this is weird to love humpday!) but it is the morning I have a PT session in the morning and I usually feel strong and happy afterwards - thank you endorphins!

"We shouldn't allow our best from last week or the week before that make us feel bad about our best this week or today" - how is it that you know exactly what I need to be reminded of?! It's absolutely right, I try to take every day as it comes (please note this is an in progress thing!) but it can be so easy to compare to a previous day or week.

I've set little milestones/goals for me to keep things ticking over. I feel this helps me to see the progress because I can then tick something of a list!

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner "how is it that you know exactly what I need to be reminded of?" LOL I guess we all need that one friend and I'm happy to be yours. 🤗

It might also be that I needed this reminder too this week and so I had it handy 😅 Taking every day and week as it comes is a WIP for me too. This week has been particularly slow for me and I feel like I'm been doing more operational/admin kind of tasks. Sure, they'll all eventually lead up to ONE big final goal but the path to getting there can be very unnerving and make you feel like you aren't doing enough. Oh well

• Shruti Turner

@Andrea Hayward why do you live all the way across the world from me?!!? 😭 I appreciate your friendship so much, this platform is amazing!!

Haha - I love it, the best advice I give is often the stuff I know I should be listening to myself. Those weeks are the toughest..where you know you're working hard and keeping productive but don't feel you have anything to show for it. You've got this, it's great that you recognise that it will lead up to the big thing at the end. I hope you get all the cumulative effects of the satisfaction you're missing now.

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner I know right! I'd have loved to meet you in person and chat over some coffee/tea (food included, of course). Maybe someday we can make this happen. Let's not lose hope 🤗

Thank you for the encouragement. This week I really need it. Learning to recognize that the smaller tasks are equally important because they lead up to the main big goal has been a slow process for me. But a few years ago, I didn't even have this awareness, so I think I'm making progress. Feels much better for sure. I guess no one ever taught us to enjoy and fully experience the process. We were always only taught to focus on the goal. Phrases like "eyes on the prize" and "come up smelling like roses" come to mind.

• Shruti Turner

Ooh, well as long as there is food you know I'm there ;) jokes aside, you're right - I shouldn't lose hope of one day meeting @Andrea Hayward !

I agree - we are conditioned to focus on that end goal with quotes like that. It's difficult to break away from those things, and like you say awareness is part of that battle. Definite progress for sure!

We should come up with some great quotes about journeys...I think there is one out there something like "Success is made up of small wins" which I quite like. Doesn't quite have the imagery of the ones you mention though. I'll have to keep thinking...Disney must have one!

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner I could only think of one such quote. Not sure who it's by though or whether it's just an idiom - "Tiny drops of water make a mighty ocean"

I think this really captures what we're both trying to say here 🙂

• Shruti Turner

Ooh, I really like that one..it helps that I find looking out at the vastness of the ocean so calming. You really have picked a perfect one! I will have to make sure I remember this :) x

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner 🤗❤️