We really need to acknowledge that meetings are an essential part of work! — R Voice

We really need to acknowledge that meetings are an essential part of work!

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 8 admin
edited February 18 in Venting Corner

Very often, if I've had too many meetings or a long meeting in a day, I find myself scampering to complete several other work-related tasks in a short period of time once my meetings are done. It almost feels as if I'm compensating for not making the most of my work day while attending these meetings which ironically are directly related to work.

So here's what I think -- We need to STOP feeling guilty about not being able to get enough work done on meeting-heavy days. MEETINGS ARE WORK! They involve tons of prep, concentration, interaction, discussion, and are both physically and mentally exhausting. 😌😐️

What do you think? Do you agree with me?

Comments

• Lisa Jansen
    Lisa Jansen Member Posts: 0

I relate to this. Meetings are often an energy suck for me. I realized that it is best if I take a 10 min "brain digestive" break. In the current pandemic setting, this means taking the dog for a quick walk. Then I can get back to work. Also, I find this helps me to hone the next steps necessary to move a project forward.

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 8 admin

@Lisa Jansen the 10-minute "brain digestive" break sounds like a great idea - I'm going to try it out! 😊

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 11 admin

I really needed to hear this @Andrea Hayward I've had a meeting-filled week and am struggling with the self-imposed feeling of being unproductive. What I particularly dislike is how the post meeting day/days are almost lethargic and there's nothing you can do about it. @Lisa Jansen - love the idea of a digestive break! I'm definitely adding that to my routine especially on days when I am more likely to experience zoom fatigue or digital fatigue.