We really need to acknowledge that meetings are an essential part of work! — R Voice

We really need to acknowledge that meetings are an essential part of work!

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 455 admin
edited February 18 in Venting Corner

Very often, if I've had too many meetings or a long meeting in a day, I find myself scampering to complete several other work-related tasks in a short period of time once my meetings are done. It almost feels as if I'm compensating for not making the most of my work day while attending these meetings which ironically are directly related to work.

So here's what I think -- We need to STOP feeling guilty about not being able to get enough work done on meeting-heavy days. MEETINGS ARE WORK! They involve tons of prep, concentration, interaction, discussion, and are both physically and mentally exhausting. 😌😐️

What do you think? Do you agree with me?

Comments

• Lisa Jansen
    Lisa Jansen Member Posts: 0

I relate to this. Meetings are often an energy suck for me. I realized that it is best if I take a 10 min "brain digestive" break. In the current pandemic setting, this means taking the dog for a quick walk. Then I can get back to work. Also, I find this helps me to hone the next steps necessary to move a project forward.

• Andrea Hayward

@Lisa Jansen the 10-minute "brain digestive" break sounds like a great idea - I'm going to try it out! 😊

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 143 admin

I really needed to hear this @Andrea Hayward I've had a meeting-filled week and am struggling with the self-imposed feeling of being unproductive. What I particularly dislike is how the post meeting day/days are almost lethargic and there's nothing you can do about it. @Lisa Jansen - love the idea of a digestive break! I'm definitely adding that to my routine especially on days when I am more likely to experience zoom fatigue or digital fatigue.

• Asli Telli
    Asli Telli Member Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

My Mondays are blocked for meetings. Any urgent stuff I schedule for Friday mornings and no more! Otherwise the whole week flies like a natural wind. I hear you on that, very well, too. That being said: It is a Monday and I should rush to one of those....guess what?!:)) Have a wonderful week!

• Erin Owens
    Erin Owens Member Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

Andrea, I absolutely agree! Meetings are work, and we should not feel guilty about spending time on them.

On the flip side: Many of us may have colleagues who often skip meetings or fail to fully engage in them, because they are more focused on other aspects of work. They need a similar reminder that "meetings are work" and therefore deserving of their time and focus. It can be disrespectful of colleagues to avoid meetings as though they are "extra" and not a functional part of work.

• Erin Owens
    Erin Owens Member Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

@Asli Telli I'm so envious that you are able to compartmentalize your meetings into one day like that! How useful. My meetings tend to scatter like leaves in the wind, landing all over my calendar at random and interrupting me constantly. Maybe I need to become more deliberate about which days/times I allow myself to accept for meetings. A goal to pursue in 2021!

• Andrea Hayward

@Erin Owens I couldn't agree more! It is the responsibility of every meeting attendee to be fully present at the meeting. In fact, I was recently debating this with a friend. I feel that for the people presenting at or driving a meeting, the whole thing involves a lot of prep and practice. It's also often nerve-wracking because you have to manage so many things like time, relevance to the audience, your own anxiety, and now there's the added pressure of never knowing what your audience is thinking or doing in a virtual meeting room. So if we're on the other side as attendees or listeners, the least we can do is be attentive and focused, Thanks for bringing in this perspective 😊

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

Totally agree Andrea, even if we cannot add any comments, ideas or insights to the meeting; it is essential that we atleast actively listen and support the meeting organisers by responding then whenever they ask our ideas or points, even the contradictions. Active listening and polite behaviour also matters a lot in a meeting to make it a productive one though we don't put much attention to it.

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the typing mistakes

• Andrea Hayward

@Isurika Sevwandi don't worry about the typos. Happens to us all 😅

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 105 ✭✭✭✭

I hate to say that I always find the significance of meetings at the end of the story....such as after my graduation. It is because, I always feel that the 24 h per day is not enough during the periods of study. Why I have to allocate time for meetings??

Learning from my experience, I will try at least to actively listen and support the meetings as said by @Isurika Sevwandi

• Soumi Paul
    Soumi Paul Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭✭

True that. :)