Which is your preferred platform for virtual meets? — R Voice

Which is your preferred platform for virtual meets?

Kakoli Majumder
Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 147 admin

I've been using Zoom and Teams for most of my meetings these days, but was wondering if there's some other better platform. Need your views on this. Which is your favorite platform for hosting virtual meetings:

• Zoom
  • Teams
  • Google Meets
  • Any other platform (please specify)

Would be really helpful if you could also mention why you like the platform of your choice.

Answers

• Mdumiseni Mazula
    Mdumiseni Mazula Member Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

Zoom is a good one for me because we can chat while the meeting continues at the same time you know so I prefer zoom all the times ya

• Gustavo Arluna
    Gustavo Arluna Member Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

I had good experiences with Google meets, and there is also an application that was created for gamers but it became more popular to a broader public that is called Discord. Both applications are for free.

I prefer Google Meets because it's free and I can use my Google, that I use for almost every app that allows me to login with it.

• Kakoli Majumder
    edited August 17

Thanks @Mdumiseni Mazula I too like zoom, but there's one issue I face with the free version - it throws out everyone, including the host, once the 40-minute time limit is up. Even if you set another one up, the continuity is somewhat lost. :( Has this ever happened to you?

• Kakoli Majumder

Thanks @Gustavo Arluna! This helps. I've never really used Google meets, but will surely try it next time.

• Gustavo Arluna
    Gustavo Arluna Member Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

@Kakoli Majumder you'll find Google meets very similar and easy to use as zoom, but 100% free with unlimited time. ;)

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

Zoom or Meet any day of the week..preferably Meet because then I don't have to open another app, but Zoom is good for breakout rooms. I don't like that for Zoom I can't blur my background though - when trying to look professional in a one bedroom flat with two of us WFH, it's helpful to blur out the washing in the background or the bed!

Really, I'm an anything-but-Teams kinda gal. It is so clunky as a technology and so big, it makes my computer go on a massive go slow.

• Soumi Paul
    Soumi Paul Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭✭

Both Zoom and G meets are good. I have used both.

• Kakoli Majumder

Thanks @Soumi Paul and @Shruti Turner That really helps. You're so right Shruti, I don't like Teams much either - agree it makes my system super slow. I don't like the new screen share option either - it takes a while to figure out which window I want to share. :( With the free version of Zoom, you get thrown out of the meeting after 40 mins which is a real pain. Google Meets it is for me then! :)

• FAROOQ RATHORE
    FAROOQ RATHORE Member Posts: 9

Having used around half a dozen online meeting programs since March 2020 like Webex, Microsoft teams, Goto Webinar, Google meet and Zoom, I would vote for Zoom.

It's not heavy and complex like some other options. Interface is pretty simple and the premium version is affordable as compared to other players in the game. The option to record the meeting and that too not in GB but MBs is great.

Google meet is an excellent free choice which allows upto 250 people in a meeting and is evolving rapidly ( Thanks to Google). But somehow Zoom sounds more professional

• FAROOQ RATHORE
    FAROOQ RATHORE Member Posts: 9

Not to mention that Zoom bloopers and funny moments has lead to creation of some really hilarious videos and clips available online 😄

• Kakoli Majumder
    edited September 8

Thanks for your inputs Farooq. The fact that Google Meets doesn't allow recording can be a bit of a bummer, but otherwise it seems to work really well. Zoom seems to be the most widely used platform, and I have to agree with you, does sound more professional.

And oh yes, the zoom bloopers are totally hilarious! They've been a great way to get some rounds of laughter going during the pandemic! :D :D