Welcoming the newest members of the R Voice Community! — R Voice

Welcoming the newest members of the R Voice Community!

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 454 admin

July was quite an eventful month here on R Voice. But amidst all the interesting conversations we've been having, let's not forget to welcome some of the our newest community members. 😊

To all of our new members - Welcome to the R Voice Community. It's great to have you here! You've probably heard from one of the R Voice hosts over the past week, and we're all very keen to get to know more about you. So if you're new here, please go ahead and introduce yourself in the comments section below.

You could share things like:

1. Where you're from
  2. What you currently do / your area of research
  3. Things outside of work such as your hobbies, pets, what you like to do for fun, etc.

I look forward to getting to know you all, and can't wait for you to jump in on community discussions! 🙂

@Dennis Erasga @Lee Ellie @Ekiru Ikutan @Wasiu Jimoh @Chinasa Ufondu @Srilak Sam @Rishav Dutta @Anthony Piscitelli @Edward Torrefranca @Anoosha Makka @Kiruthika Selvaraj @Andrés Noyola @Bakul Piplani @Natsumi Takahashi @Vineetha Mathew

Tagged:

Comments

• Andrea Hayward

@Kakoli Majumder @Jayashree Rajagopalan I know you guys will want to tag some people too 😊

• Edward Torrefranca
    Edward Torrefranca Member Posts: 3

Hello, my name is Edward R. Torrefranca. I am from the Philippines. I am currently teaching Mathematics in the Modern World and participating in research on students' online engagement. Outside of work, I enjoy playing with our cat, Mingming. He is a stray cat who comes to our house every mealtime and leaves after. Now, he has opted to stay in our backyard.

• Andrea Hayward
    edited August 4

Hi @Edward Torrefranca! Thanks for telling us a little bit about yourself. It's great to have you here on R Voice! 😊 Your research on students' online engagement sounds very interesting and I'd love to learn more. First question - are you looking at students at the school level or in higher education?

"He is a stray cat who comes to our house every mealtime and leaves after. Now, he has opted to stay in our backyard." - This is so accurate! I couldn't have described cat-behavior any better. Mingming seems to be a natural lol 😄

I myself am a cat-person. And even though my cat lives with me, he dutifully shows up at mealtime (even if it's not his turn to eat) and demands that he be fed, disappearing soon after 😅 Here's a picture of Stitches

BEFORE a meal:

And here he is when his belly is full 😂

• Edward Torrefranca
    Edward Torrefranca Member Posts: 3

Mingming is always at our door, watching over the food we consume. When we glance at him, he makes a meow sound, as if he's telling us to give him something as well. So we're giving him a little something because he eats so slowly and has no teeth. He also likes cooked veggies and fish gills.

In terms of the students we are seeking for, we intend to utilize higher education students as a sample because my colleagues and I teach at the tertiary level.

• Andrea Hayward

@Edward Torrefranca Mingming sounds like fantastic company 😊 and you are so kind for feeding him to the extent that you even know his food preferences ❤️ Would love to see a picture of Mingming, if you have one.

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 139 admin

@Edward Torrefranca - this may often happen when you talk about cats/dogs/pets here on R Voice. They will occupy the conversation more than your work 🙂 Welcome to R Voice. It's lovely to hear how attached Mingming and you are to each other. I feel sorry that he doesn't have teeth but that makes me want to see him even more. Would you be able to share a photo? @Andrea Hayward 's cat is a pampered prince and he gets a lot of love, pets, and attention. I have a cat too - a dual colored Siberian and I call him Bira. Bira is all about food. The minute we walk into the kitchen or even get up from our work desk, he appears out of nowhere, ready to stare us down and make us succumb to his demand for food. What's more - he has now started asking to be hand fed instead of bending down to eat the food. The royalty! Here's a video where Bira is unable to let anyone else, except him, eat:

What you said about the engagement of online students sounds very interesting - and something you love! I look forward to hearing more from you on R Voice. As you may have guessed, this is a very friendly, open, and chatty community 😀

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 139 admin

Thanks for adding me to this @Andrea Hayward It's always a good feeling to meet newer folks on the R Voice community. I just wanted to welcome you once again, @Pooja Pratheesh @Chris Lyimo @Evans Lomodei @Anuradha Rathnayake @Kazutoshi Katayama @Chinmay Guralwar @ALIORU MARGARET @Daisy Dlamini @Laura Lester @Hyo Jeong Yoo @kennedy boadi @Grace Ameh @Oliver Paul @kunihiko tokashiki @Karen Mould @Muhammad Kamaldeen Imam-Tamim @Yoshinobu Shimohigashi @Mustafa Vohra @rui mamiya @JAYOO SEO @SHINYOUNG KANG @IKENNA EMMANUEL @Ho Hyeong Yang @vidya viswanath @Selvakumar Guruswamy @NAOKI ISHIMARU @Rika Hosotani It's lovely to have you here. We'd love to know more about you, simple things like:

1. Where you are from
    2. What you currently do/your area of research
    3. Things outside of work such as your hobbies, pets, what you like to do for fun, etc.

The R Voice community is a busy one - we all like to share what's on our minds, advice others, or just talk about our experiences. The idea is simple...to make sure researchers are able to experience and feel the power of community and have a safe space where they can be themselves. Take a look around, explore the discussions, and feel free to jump in on a conversation or start one of your own!

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 147 admin

Thanks for starting this thread @Andrea Hayward! A warm welcome to all the new members of R Voice - it's lovely having you all here! We're a wonderfully caring and supportive community here and I'm sure everybody would love to know you!

@Cyrille Mbanwi @samaneh yusefi @sameer mishra @Oliver Pwaka @Kenneth Orimma @Kunju Singh @Sanjay Golla @OLAIPO AJAYI @Anna Ozimek @Abdul Moid @Kirill Frolov @Chiaki Ohtaka @Seon Hamer @Huda Midani Do tell us a little about yourself. We'd love to know -

1. Where are you currently based?
    2. What's your area of research?
    3. What do you enjoy doing outside of work?

Feel free to share anything else or start a new discussion, or jump in and share your thoughts on some of the existing conversations! I'm sure you'll love being part of this vibrant community. Look forward to having some interesting conversations with you! ☺️

• Andrea Hayward

WOW, so many new names! 😃 Looking forward to reading your comments and getting to know you better

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 147 admin

Welcome to R Voice @Edward Torrefranca! I am intrigued by your research as I was a teacher for several years towards the beginning of my career. There are quite a few people in this community who are from the field of education @Dahlia T @Mohamed Samunn you might find Edward's research interesting too.

I too am a cat person, although I don't have a pet currently as I travel a lot. But my neighbor's little kitty keeps popping in for some treats every now and then and I love playing with her. Would love to see some pictures of Mingming :)

• Mohamed Samunn
    Mohamed Samunn Member Posts: 11 ✭✭✭

I am a cat person too! Unfortunately, I cannot keep a pet right now for a few reasons. So when ever we see a cat, we stop for a few minutes to look at him/her. Our last association was last friday with a big cat when my wife went for her vaccination.

Cats can identify the 'cat lovers'.

• Kenneth Orimma
    Kenneth Orimma Member Posts: 1

My name is Kenneth Orimma from the Bahamas, my research interest is in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.

I like integrating interactive technology/simulation in learning for kids with learning disabilities and Attention deficit Hyperactivity disorders. I am the owner of silver-ken digital interactive learning systems.

I love deep sea diving when I am not working as well as fishing.

• Dahlia T
    Dahlia T Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭✭

@Mohamed Samunn Truth be told, although I have had cats as pets, I am not sure if I am really a cat person. I do know that there has been a gap in my life ever since I gave up my last cat, due to a few personal issues. So I feel that absence you mentioned. Aah, my last little guy, Momo was a treat! That being said, I look forward to going on long walks with my future imaginary dog and just seeing it running wild in a backyard, someday , somewhere ... soon :-)

I am purposefully driven to water the soil to grow the seed that is already planted. 

• Dahlia T

@Kenneth Orimma , welcome to RVoice. I am intrigued by your research interest and would love to learn more. I took the liberty of searching for the learning system you mentioned. I came across a Facebook page, Is this the correct page? https://www.facebook.com/silverkendigitalinteractivelearning/

I am purposefully driven to water the soil to grow the seed that is already planted. 

• Dahlia T

Welcome to RVoice @Edward Torrefranca . I am interested in your research on student's online engagement. That is with older/school-aged children, I presume?

I once had a cat, who was more like a little lion :-) He was very ferocious and bossy. He also refused to be tamed, retaining more of his 'natural' instinct for hunting rather than sticking around to be petted. We finally came to an agreement. He could disappear for days on end and I would always leave out food and water for him - like your Mingming :-) - and from time to time, when 'he' decided, he would allow me to keep him on my lap or laze around with me for a little.

• Andrea Hayward

Welcome to R Voice @Kenneth Orimma! It's great to have you here 😊

Your research interests are very interesting. I browsed through the Silver-ken digital interactive learning systems Facebook page shared by @Dahlia T (thanks Dahlia!) and found it fascinating! I found the use of 3D visuals to enhance learning particularly interesting and would love to learn more. Looking forward to getting to know you better and hopefully see some beautiful footage from your deep sea diving adventures 😃

• IKENNA EMMANUEL
    IKENNA EMMANUEL Member Posts: 5

A great day to everyone on this platform. I am happy to be in the community of intellectuals.

I am Dr. Ikenna Obijuru. I am a Doctor of Optometry.

At present, I work as a Lecturer in one of the state universities in Nigeria. Currently, I am pursuing a Master's degree programme in Ocular Health which particularly focuses on the pathologies of the eye, pharmacology as well as the Physiology of the ocular system. I look forward apply this knowledge in the care of patients and on a broader scale in mitigating health burdens in Nigeria,Africa and beyond.

I am looking forward to learning a lot about research from this community.

At my leisure, I listen to music.

• Andrea Hayward

@IKENNA EMMANUEL Welcome to the R Voice Community! It's great to have you here 😊

Thank you so much for the introduction. You're doing such great work and the vision that you're working towards is very admirable.

I'm a music lover too! What is your favorite music genre? 😃

• IKENNA EMMANUEL

Thank you Andrea.

That's good to know that you unwind with music as well.

I do country and gospel music. The blend gives me relief from stress.

• Andrea Hayward
    edited August 30

@IKENNA EMMANUEL +1 for country music for me and I'd also like to add Pop, R&B, and Jazz 🎷

Sometimes, if I'm having a bad day, even having some soft music playing in the background while I do my work can be a game-changer for me ☺️

• IKENNA EMMANUEL

That's great to know. I have proved the soothing effect music has on the mind and it's one of my go-to hobbies to relieve tension and bounce back with a new strength.

Good to know we share similar sentiment.