If you weren't involved in research, what kind of work would you be doing today? — R Voice

If you weren't involved in research, what kind of work would you be doing today?

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 455 admin

Keeping with the 'Fun Friday' theme that @Yufita Chinta started on R Voice last week, I was determined to come up with something fun and interesting for this Friday. And here is it! 😃

I've always noticed that in interviews, celebrities get asked a question that's something to the effect of "If you weren't acting/singing/playing football/writing/etc. what kind of work would you be doing? And I don't see why only celebrities should have the pleasure of answering this question. We're all dreamers too! 😋😎

So here goes - If you weren't involved in research or academia at large, what kind of work/profession do you think you'd be involved in?

Comments

• Mdumiseni Mazula
    Mdumiseni Mazula Member Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

Well good day I was busy installing cameras in my house and also renovating it inside and out side its been a while we did not renovate it, so last week we thought of how about this weekend we renovate it.

• Soumi Paul
    Soumi Paul Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭✭

It's a combination of both painting and writing for me. I wish I could publish a collection of my paintings along with the story behind each of them. There are always such different ideas that roam in my head. However, they are not going to find implementation shortly (not during my Ph.D. tenure).

• Raj sundaram
    Raj sundaram Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭

Haha, interesting question, @Andrea Hayward ....if it weren't for research, I'd still be doing something at the interface of science and science communication and dissemination. Sounds boring, I guess....but...can't see myself doing anything else mainstream.

I'd be doing side gigs...a lot...for sure...like being a travel/hiking/adventure sports guide, run a small organic vegetable farm, music, blogging - travelogues, book/movie critiques, etc. Things that wouldn't pay me well, but make me happy. 😂

Although money is the root cause of all evil, need money in this world. 😅

But my long time wish has been to divorce myself from people and the world that runs on freemarket capitalism or minimize my contact with civilization to the maximum possible extent, go to a mountain top on seaside or any other waterbody, build my house (cabin)...the only house in the area - all by myself from the scratch, live grid free, have a few goats for milk/yogurt/cheese, grow my food, spin my own clothes, make my own musical instrument and play it...😂 Not sure if it's going to be possible to go to that extreme...but willing to settle for something along these lines that is more practically possible.🙃

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭✭

Ooh, interesting question @Andrea Hayward. I actually never thought I'd end up in research or academia, in fact not long into my undergraduate I vowed never to do a PhD. How times have changed!

I think if I wasn't in academia/research I would work in Data Science/Data Analytics. In fact, this is my plan b, if academia doesn't work out for me. I feel like there are similarities across academic research and data jobs in industry: understanding information to translate this into something tangible/useful for the goals. I would like to think I would be doing this for a non-profit organisation or a medtech of some form. I don't know about the specifics. I just know that I want my work (whether in or out of academia) to have a positive impact on the world in some way, who I work for/the contribution of my work has always been important to me.

• Shruti Turner

How about you, @Andrea Hayward - if you weren't doing your current job (or similar) what would you be doing?

• Andrea Hayward

@Soumi Paul so lovely! I had a feeling yours would be something related to art. In addition to publishing a collection of your paintings, I can visualize the makings of an art installation in a gallery that (pun intended) paints a picture and also tells a story! 😃

Here's hoping that you get to actualize this dream sometime in the future :)

• Andrea Hayward

Hahaha @Raj sundaram you never cease to amaze me!

1) Science communication doesn't sound boring at all. The very fact that something close to science came to mind first, means that you're basically living your dream 😎

2) Woah, so many side gigs! I think you'd make an excellent book and/or movie critique. If you ever do one, you have a reader in me lol. Also, I have a friend who quit her corporate job around 3 years after college and started an organic indoor farm with her partner. It's an amazing venture! I can totally see you doing that too.

3) Coming to the last part... I suppose living away from people and the hustle-bustle of big city life would be very calming and peaceful. Start watching "Cabins in the WILD" on Netflix ASAP. I think they'll have all the inspiration you need. 😃

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner I'd have never guessed that you started out as someone who didn't want to do a PhD 😅

From the very little that I understand about data science, I find it incredibly fascinating and am always amazed by the kind of insights you can get through data analytics. I never really understood the importance of "data-driven decisions" until I had to take them. Very cool Plan B!

"I just know that I want my work (whether in or out of academia) to have a positive impact on the world in some way" - LOVE this! 🤩

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner if I wasn't doing what I was doing currently, I'd have loved to be working at a Publishing House. The whole process of reading through countless manuscripts and being part of the behind-the-scenes team who finally decides on the final version that's going to be read by thousands of people around the world seems very exciting to me! Not to mention interesting. I'm not sure what kind of books I'd like to work on but I think I'd be open to several - children's literature, autobiographies, fiction, crime thrillers, etc. I know it might seem odd that I don't want to be the author but part of the team behind the author lol 😄 but this is something I've been thinking off for quite some time now.

• Andrea Hayward
    edited July 28
  • Abdirisak Mohamed Abdillahi
    Abdirisak Mohamed Abdillahi Member Posts: 2 ✭

Thank you @Andrea Hayward. If I was not involved in research or academia I would definitely be working on a construction site as a civil engineer or may be as a construction manager. I always loved to write too although I never seem to passed that first chapter as there is always something "urgent" that needs may attention, I think it is called procrastinating.

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

Community development, I love to make positive impact everywhere I go to

• Andrea Hayward

Thanks for sharing @Abdirisak Mohamed Abdillahi! I find it very interesting how diverse both your choices are, with one leaning towards very hands-on, technical work and the other being more creative and imaginative. Either way, here's hoping that you get to live out these dreams in some way, some day 🙂

I'm curious though - when you say writing, do you mean something like a novel? Maybe fiction?

• Andrea Hayward

Very cool @Adaora Anyichie - Odis! If you don't mind me asking, which aspects of community development do you feel strongest about?

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

@Andrea Hayward Sensitization on climate change, Education and Public Health issues. Intervention programs like encouraging vaccination uptake and empowerment programs to reduce poverty... humanitarian duties.

• Gustavo Arluna
    Gustavo Arluna Member Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

@Raj sundaram I loved the part that started with "divorce myself from people and the world that runs on freemarket capitalism..." ❤️:-D

• Gustavo Arluna

@Shruti Turner Data Science is my plan B too! Well, actually working for making it a real profession. I started with programming languages and Data Analysis. Let's make a start up! Bye Academia! haha :-D

• Gustavo Arluna
  • Gustavo Arluna

Well, in my case I am not involved in Academia, although my job has some academic things like Electrical Standards development that requires some study. But my main job is similar to any other private company (the company where I work is (or supposed to be) a non profitable Institute, like an org).

So, I always wanted to get involved in academia but you and some friends of mine here in my country are making me doubt about it.

So as a pendular guy, I think that I would get involved in an artistic expression like @Soumi Paul mentioned, but in my case that would be music. Actually, I've recently bought an electrical guitar, but I am a very beginner without too much time for it. Anyway, when I play it (mostly doing beginners boring exercises) I try to enjoy it. I feel like I have too much to express but sometimes I don't know how to do it in an script, so maybe art can be a good way to communicate with the world. When I was a kid I also liked to draw and I even made some short comics, but unfortunately none of them survived. :-( And while growing older I lost that patience for drawing. But I imagine painting as a relaxing acivity.

Well, let's go back to reality. @Shruti Turner please let's keep on studying Data Science :-D

• Shruti Turner

Haha - @Gustavo Arluna, sometimes I think I could make my life so much easier if I jumped ship from research and went to data science. Alas, a girl wants what she wants...I don't think I'd forgive myself if I didn't give Plan A a good go first!

• Gustavo Arluna

@Shruti Turner after reading your comment the song "Girls just wanna have fun" by Cindy Lauper came to my mind, lol.

So, keep on having fun doing your Plan A ;)

By the way, I saw your TEDx video, and it was so inspirational. So it's better for humanity that you keep on doing Plan A.

(But remember, Data science and me will be here waiting for you if you change your mind! Lol)

• Shruti Turner

Haha - well, Ms Lauper definitely makes a valid point! 😂 Though the academic version of that is "Girls just wanna have fun-ding" - which feels more pertinent at the moment haha

Oh, wow. Thank you for watching and for your feedback. I really appreciate it! The hope is to combine my love of Data Science and prosthetics. I am just working out a plan and maybe an application for funding 🤞

• Gustavo Arluna

You were so sharp with fun-ding 😂

I hope you can find the funding source soon 🤞

Less millions for entertainment and space tourism, and more millions for health researching. I hope humanity change its course someday...

• Shruti Turner

@Gustavo Arluna - thank you!

Alas, that is a thread all of its own I think. My husband works in the tech industry and it just hurts how much money they have to spare when we can't do valuable research because of lack of funding 😭

• Gustavo Arluna

Yes, it's sad. Some many people suffering around the world and the money is in wrong hands...

Many times my wife and I dreamed about making much money just for making a foundation or something related (dreaming is free, haha). I think it is possible for rich people to have a good life, even with luxuries but at the same time spending money in good causes as the one you are working on.

• Shruti Turner

I have the same dream!! Maybe one day...maybe..

• Andrea Hayward

@Gustavo Arluna WOW, an electric guitar! I'm just going to say that your dreams are cooler than mine lol. Also eagerly waiting for front row tickets to your first concert 😄 Jokes aside, if putting music out into the world or just making music for yourself makes you happy or even gives you an ounce of peace, I think that's exactly what you should do! 😎

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner how is it even possible that you have a TEDx talk and I haven't watched it? 😮 I'm going to need details and the link.

Also "Girls just want to have FUN-ding" should be on a t-shirt 😂😂 It's genius!

• Shruti Turner

Oh dear, @Gustavo Arluna what position have you left me in?! Haha

@Andrea Hayward I gave a TEDx talk last January on my research, talking about socket fitting and creating an accessible solution. Link is here, but please don't feel you have to watch it: https://www.ted.com/talks/shruti_turner_prosthetics_under_pressure

I think it is already..maybe. It's been circling around social media and meme pages for a while. The first time I saw it on a product was on a sticker in the Academiology shop - I love these stickers. I have bought 3 now: one during my PhD saying "PhD Loading" with a loading bar; and then two for when I passed my viva. One for me that has a list of "Miss, Mrs, Ms, Dr" with the first three crossed out and one for husband, a rosette saying "I survived my wife's dissertaion". They are on our respective laptops as a constant reminder!

• Andrea Hayward
    edited July 28

Thanks @Shruti Turner! I'll definitely watch it, and I'd be happy to. I get very excited to watch Ted Talks by people I know. Makes me feel like I know famous people (yay?) 😃

Oh yes, I've seen these stickers too. They're great! I think I follow Academeology on Instagram.