What's your (Monday) mantra? — R Voice

What's your (Monday) mantra?

Shruti Turner
Shruti Turner Member Posts: 199 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 12 in Everything & Anything

Mondays are notorious for that "feeling" of not wanting to work or feeling a bit deflated. I thought it was time to inject some positivity into the week for us all! I tend to like quotes or phrases that have stuck with me to keep me going through the tough times..to remind me of what could be in the right mindset.

I've got to admit...most of the things that crop up in my mind are Harry Potter quotes (I can't help it...) but the one that really has stuck with me since I was 14/15 through the tough times in education and other bits and pieces is: per ardua ad astra

This latin phrase is attributed to Virgil, and translates as "Through adversity to the stars". I have featured this in each one of the three of my personal statements for university and it is the quote at the front of my PhD thesis.

Are there any words that stick in your mind that keep you going?

Tagged:

Comments

• Shruti Turner
    edited July 12

@Andrea Hayward @Kakoli Majumder @Jayashree Rajagopalan @Raj sundaram @Soumi Paul @Gustavo Arluna @Yufita Chinta

Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to add your personal mantra/quote and tag someone not already in this thread to do the same. Let's get that positivity to as many people in the community as possible!

• Raj sundaram
    Raj sundaram Member Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭
    Ire Dierum Trium

@Shruti Turner Google translate spit this out as Latin for "Three days to go" - but also as "Go three days". 🤣

Mondolences. And have a great week ahead everyone.

@Dahlia T and @chris leonard : want to chip in with Monday Motivations? Or just cheeky statements to get us all going?😊

• Shruti Turner
    edited July 12

@Raj sundaram - another Latin one! What does the phrase mean to you? I've never actually heard that one used...

PS I always take Google Translate with a pinch of salt...especially with Latin things seem to go a little awry haha

• Raj sundaram
    edited July 12

It was a practical joke. My Monday mantra is "Three days to go" i.e., to Friday.

To make it sound cool, I wanted the Latin form.

So, I played with google translate and it spit out the cool sounding “Ire Dierum Trium”, which when re-translated to English also means “Go three days” which is also ironically befitting.😂

Not Virgil level motivation...but very practical..."Eyes on the Prize" Pavlovian-type conditioning. 🤣

Incidentally, I quote Oscar Wilde at the front of my thesis "The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple". 🙂

• Shruti Turner

@Raj sundaram Oooh...I get it now 🤦‍♀️. Oops, sorry...clearly Monday brain is a thing for me! Love it.

• Raj sundaram

Wow...that is some Mon-Daze, @Shruti Turner ... 🤣

• Shruti Turner

@Raj sundaram In all my Mon-daze I missed your two motivational quotes...

"Eye on the prize" is definitely a kick-up-the behind to keep one going to get the goal. Does what it says on the tin really! I love your Oscar Wilde quote, so apt for research especially. We think we know what we know until we try and understanding and we find a whole load more!

• Gustavo Arluna
    Gustavo Arluna Member Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

@Raj sundaram I've never read "mondolences", that's a good one! 😂I beg your permission to use in other groups.

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 315 admin
    edited July 13

Hahaha @Shruti Turner and @Raj sundaram - you guys crack me up! 😄

Special shout-out to you Shruti for going out of your comfort zone and tagging us. 😎

I have this one quote which has been stuck in my head ever since I came across it (although I cannot for the life of me remember where I heard/read it) and I love it because I find it applicable in most life situations "Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

It holds special meaning for someone like me who has and continues to battle intense fear of failure. It's my gentle reminder to keep going and keep trying. 🙂

I'd like to tag @Reshnee Tabañag, @Erwin Mina and @Ibrahim Rahmouni to add their own motivational quotes and phrases to this thread. Thanks for starting this thread, Shruti!

• Gustavo Arluna

@Shruti Turner what an interesting question.

I don't think I have a mantra, but it's a good opportunity to look for one. I think mantras may be useful when you feel stucked, it can be your "restore point" (I am thinking about Windows OS when I wrote "restore point")

But what I do for sure on Mondays is running to my kitchen and preparing coffee or "mate" 🧉 (our local beverage that contains caffeine, too, and that fortunately has it own emoji 🧉) because I need "fuel" for starting the day.

I have some "spiritual" thing that I do every morning that can be considered a mantra, but it's not just a phrase and I think it might be out of the scope of this conversation, so I will not mention it.

Have a great week, manuscript warriors! Let's make our little contribution to this world.

• Reshnee Tabañag
    Reshnee Tabañag Member Posts: 2

@Andrea Hayward i wouldn't notice this, if it isn't for the tag. Thanks!

So, about the mantra, I always feel motivated (although it depends on what intensity after being demotivated) of this quote from James Clear, author of the book Atomic Habits that always got my back every time I get lost and out of track. It says "We don't rise to the level of our goals, we fall to the level of our systems."

Implies, most of the time, if things do not work on how it should work--- or we feel things go wrong already, there's is something wrong about the system that causes us not to achieve the certain goal needed. It's not on the goal, its in the system that needs to be reimagined. (System, that entails little details like habits)

• Raj sundaram
    edited July 13

@Andrea Hayward :

"Hahaha @Shruti Turner and @Raj sundaram - you guys crack me up! 😄"

Happy to be of service. 🤡😂

• Raj sundaram

@Gustavo Arluna

Mondolences (TM pending) is the genius brainchild of @Jayashree Rajagopalan and her husband. The word was born - as you may have figured out - on a Monday! 🤣 Please ask @Jayashree Rajagopalan for permission.

@Jayashree Rajagopalan - You are going to be more famous than now and Mondolences is going to break the internetz. Just saying. 😂

• Raj sundaram
    edited July 13

Hehe..@Shruti Turner ...

Missing out "Eyes on the Prize" and the Oscar Wilde quote...has nothing to do with Mon-Daze (TM pending to @Dahlia T ) or you. The culprit is the lag between your reply and my edit. 🤣

We think we know what we know until we try and understanding and we find a whole load more!

Haha...yes. And also more like...we think we know what we want to know until we try...and we find that what we ought to know is completely different from what we thought we wanted to know.

Or sometimes...we think we know what we know until we try...and see that what we know is completely wrong and we unlearn and re-learn everything from the scratch. 😂

But yes - that Oscar Wilde quote is very applicable to life in general. 😊

• Andrea Hayward
    edited July 13

@Reshnee Tabañag thank you so much for adding to this discussion 🙂

Very interesting quote! I looked it up a little to understand it better and I quite like that it urges the listener to spend less time focusing on their desired outcomes and more time focusing on the journey and efforts that will eventually lead us to those outcomes. I'm all for fully experiencing the journey towards a goal because that's where you tend to spend the most time. The feeling of the success or meeting the goal is usually short-lived in my experience, because I start thinking about what comes next.

• Gustavo Arluna

@Raj sundaram yeah, "mondolences" will break the internet. 😂

Great word, @Jayashree Rajagopalan , congratulations! 😁

• Shruti Turner

@Andrea Hayward Thank you -I took a bit of time to build up but I didn't! So great to see all the engagement on this thread, especially from people I haven't interacted with before!

I love that quote!! It resonates so much with me, like with you, I find my fear of failure prevents me from giving things a go. (I'm not even surprised at this point how similar we are!) The first time I had heard it was when watching a good ol' chick flick when I was younger and it has stuck with me ever since (I'm not sure I can admit to which one!) I wish I could say I truly embody it all the time, but when I am reminded of it I do make sure to take those steps to overcome my fears.

• Shruti Turner

@Gustavo Arluna - That's so interesting. I am all for a routine being a mantra in a way. tobe honest. Everyone is different and sometimes it's routine, others it's words that resonate.

I have never heard of "mate" - what is it like? I now want to try some, but I doubt I'll find it in the UK, I must have a search....I'm not a coffee drinker, but very much a tea lover. Maybe it's time for me to change?

If you're happy to share, I'd love to hear about your spiritual routine. I'm all about all positivity/motivation in this thread!

• Shruti Turner

Hi @Reshnee Tabañag, thank you for sharing this quote with us. I have never come across it before, but I really feel like it is a good motivator to do the right thing. To rise above, rather than sink to the worst cases that are currently the norm. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you meant...but now reading @Andrea Hayward's comment I am really not sure if I have got the wrong end of the stick. I guess that is the power of many quotes - that they can mean slightly different things in different contexts?

• Shruti Turner

@Raj sundaram - excellent, that makes me feel much better!! I thought I was going crazy/crazier.

So many meanings and interpretations..I love it. IT's a quote to fit all occasions!

• Gustavo Arluna
    edited July 13

@Shruti Turner I found some pages that sell mate only in Europe, so I will copy the explanation they make in one if them:

"Mate is a caffeine-infused drink made from the leaves of the Ilex paraguariensis, a tree which only grows in the subtropical area of South America.

Mate, which is rich in caffeine, is a healthy and natural drink which is known to have energising."

If you like herbal teas, this is something similar but it has some peculiarities like being drunken in gould with a metallic straw called "bombilla". But the most peculiar and maybe disgusting things for foreign people is that we share the same mate with other people. So it's a social beverage that is shared. Of course, that couldn't be done anymore when pandemic started. The taste is strong, so at first the majority of people don't like it very much. You can soften that taste using sugar or other things for making it sweet. But after drinking it several times you become kind of addicted to it like happens with coffee because it contains caffeine.

Regarding to my spiritual routine, as a christian I just pray to GOD for entrust my day to HIM, and then I do a thing that may be funny: I listen to a religious song every day since several years ago. It's the first song I listen to before listening any other song. I call it "My Heavenly International Anthem" 🤭 By the way, don't think that every christian people do this, I do it because I am a weird person, haha 😁

Other thing that I do sometimes is incorporating some yoga practice for relaxing. I think in India that is something very usual, but not here in western countries, although yoga is growing exponentially each year here. In an anxious society yoga is the best medicine. 😊

• Shruti Turner

Ah, thank you for sharing about mate - I'll have to check it out!

It's nice to hear about your routine. I am a believer that nothing really is that weird, more perhaps that others don't talk about such things. It's good that you have a routine that works for you (and it is legal and moral etc!) and that is the important thing :)

I like to do yoga, though I have to admit I have got lazy about this recently. I think here in the UK it is more of a 'trending' thing. Though over lockdown it has been good exercise/mindfulness to do at home. I have dipped in and out of yoga over the years and I really find it helps my physical and mental health. In fact, whilst I like to do morning yoga to greet the day, I do prefer to do it in the evening to end the day. It gives me a good stretch after being at my desk all day but also clears my mind and I go into post-work/relax mode haha. Especially in lockdown/with restrictions when I have been working from my living room it is nice to have the routine of separation from work time to rest time.

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 92 admin
    edited July 14

@Shruti Turner This thread made my Monday! @Raj sundaram Love "Mondolences" and your fancy Latin phrase :D :D

I too really don't have a Monday Mantra, but a little ritual I do to collect my thoughts (I'm usually Mondazed too :P) is go skim through the previous week's mails and create a list of things that worked out well last week and a task list for the upcoming week. That kind of helps me calm down and get my mind into action mode. So, I would say my mantra is "Get up and get going."

Tagging @KESIDE IWUJI and @Tony Nwankwo. would love to know what your Monday motivation is! :) thread.

• Shruti Turner

@Kakoli Majumder I'm so glad! I think I felt like I needed the boost from this thread, even without knowing it. It's Wednesday and it keeps delivering!

Thank you for sharing your mantra and routine. It makes total sense to have a recap, I feel like it means that you're also not thinking about your work over the weekend which is amazing! Your routine, I think shows us so much about how you allow yourself the time to rest, and then again the time to set yourself up for the week. I must try it (maybe next weekend, this week is last minute viva prep!) as I am so bad at feeling like I have to kick-start my Monday immediately so I start planning my week on Sunday. Please tell me if I have interpreted what you have said incorrectly! I don't want to be putting words into your mouth.

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner "I'm not even surprised at this point how similar we are!" - Lol, I feel the same way. Constantly grateful for R Voice because we'd have never known if it wasn't for this community. The first time we interacted was quite a few years ago but that was just email and we didn't get to actually "talk." This is much better ❤️

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 92 admin

You're on the right track @Shruti Turner! Over the past year, I've consciously made an effort to keep myself occupied with something else on the weekends - travel, hobbies, video calls with friends and family. That was the only way to create a work-life segregation during the lockdown. And to deal with a lot of separation that happened within the family due to the travel bans. So my weekends are sacred for me! I'd encourage everyone to try and do the same and establish clear boundaries between the weekdays and weekends! I feel so refreshed when I get back to work on Mondays!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 117 admin

I am so happy to see this post that I'm going to go ahead and tag everyone on this thread and more folks because I'm super excited about this discussion (extra large apologies to @Shruti Turner for replying so late). @Andrea Hayward @Kakoli Majumder @Jayashree Rajagopalan @Raj sundaram @Soumi Paul @Gustavo Arluna @Yufita Chinta @KESIDE IWUJI @Tony Nwankwo @Isurika Sevwandi @Reshnee Tabañag@Erwin Mina @Ibrahim Rahmouni @Hong Ching Goh So I LOVE LOVE LOVE motivational/inspirational quotes. When I was a child, I would copy every beautiful quote I came across anywhere into a diary - I still have it...all those positive quotes scribbled in that childish hand. I'll trace that diary and share a photo with you all here soon. My favorite quote ever is one by Steve Jobs -

Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become.

Thinking about this on a Monday - when my heart is full of anxiety about the week ahead or I am experiencing that familiar a dull ache because of mondolences - makes me go back to myself, what I REALLY feel and connect with what I want and CAN do. I find this more positive than anything else I have ever read. Trusting ourselves, I feel, is the biggest gift and motivation we can give ourselves.

Coming back to my passion for storing inspirational quotes - you guys might like this. Last year, I reached out to researchers - just like the awesome people on this thread - to ask for that one quote, one inspirational line to make a fellow researcher feel better, not just on a Monday but on any day of the week, on any day of the year. I got such an overwhelming response that we could create a daily motivational calendar out of it. This project/effort is close to my heart and like my own baby! Take a look at it and let me know what you think. Plus, you'll stay motivated everyday, I promise!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

Spot on! Can I please hop in and echo this sentiment? Please!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

Thanks @Gustavo Arluna - Glad you liked it. Wish the folks you know "Mondolences for today" every Monday and watch their eyebrows rise up in confusion/amusement :-) @Kakoli Majumder glad you liked the word too.

• Gustavo Arluna

@Jayashree Rajagopalan , wow! I just can express what I feel with an emoji: 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

(Thank you for tagging me 😊😊)