Soft skills — R Voice

Soft skills

Adaora Anyichie - Odis
Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

It's a new week and few days to end of June plus first half of the year. For me I learn everyday, therefore these skills are a must have for me. What about you?

#training #teamwork #learning #coaching #softskills

Comments

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 686 admin

Hi @Adaora Anyichie - Odis! Thanks for starting this discussion. After some thought, I'd have to say that acquiring skills and the know-how to work smoothly in a virtual setting is a must-have for me. I thought of this especially since most of us were thrown into a Work From Home situation without any warning, about a year ago. Almost overnight, we were forced into a sea of new learning - learning how to do Zoom meetings and close major decisions virtually, how to conduct and attend classes virtually, how to mentor and be mentored virtually, how to work without the infrastructure and tools we were so used to, etc. I'm sure a lot of people (including me) struggled at first to achieve their goals and be productive in their new work settings. But we've all done quite a good job of tackling this challenge head-on.

This past year had included a lot of learning for me and I can now do a whole lot of things from my living room...the same stuff that I swore I needed a face-to-face meeting for in the past. I hope this didn't sound like a ramble. Just my two cents on this matter 😊

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

I think the "soft skills" are vital for any successful career/relationship but sometimes are undervalued because there isn't a course in them or because they're called "soft skills". There are many that are so important that I think are often overlooked, but are crucial to being able to do work as a researcher.

To name a few:-

Social/Verbal Communication: both communicating with technical and non-technical audiences. This is essential for collaboration and networking, as well as presentations and teaching.

Organisation: important for balancing all the different aspects of your work/life. It is rare that there is only ever one thing to do at a time.

Computer Skills: okay, so this might not be a soft skill technically, but as @Andrea Hayward especially with the pandemic but even before...it was a general expectation in all walks of life that we can use a computer...whether to write manuscripts, have video calls or make presentations. Nowadays, it's not really something that is taught but is expected and important in many aspects of life.

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis

Thank you Andrea for your feedback. Social and emotional intelligence is what most people are applying now working from home.

I am glad you have adapted to the new normal. I started studying from home in 2018 when I started my online PhD. I have attended and presented my paper from home in a conference 2018 and 2019 before the pandemic.

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis

Exactly @Shruti Turner to be a successful leader you need to possess all soft skills.

I also see that young graduates now have knowledge of data science even if it is the basic skills. Thank you for your feedback.

• Yuliya Shtaltovna
    Yuliya Shtaltovna Member Posts: 13 ✭✭

If you do the research on Soft Skills, you are most welcome to submit your paper to GILE Journal:

https://voice.researcher.life/discussion/286/paper-call-for-the-gile-journal-on-skills-development/p1?new=1

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 686 admin
    edited July 2021

@Adaora Anyichie - Odis interesting! Given that you had already settled into a Work/Study From Home routine, would you say it has changed in anyway since the pandemic hit? Or has it been more or less the same?

I was recently speaking to a colleague who has been working remotely for a past few years, much before the onset of COVID-19. She'd largely work from home and come into the office maybe once or twice a month, if at all. So for her, there was no shock factor or discomfort when we all moved to a WFH situation. If anything, she says that all other aspects of her life (with work as an exception) were affected by the pandemic. Has your experience been similar?