[Short video] Yoga therapy: Chair exercises when at work (Happy International Yoga Day!) — R Voice

[Short video] Yoga therapy: Chair exercises when at work (Happy International Yoga Day!)

Jayashree Rajagopalan
Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 225 admin

It's a Monday and I can already feel my back and neck cramping up - I've been sitting at my desk for so long! I am sure I am not the only one who tends to or needs to sit for long hours staring at a screen, reading, writing, or working. This is far too common a problem to be ignored.

Since today is International Yoga Day, I reached out to @Lidia Lins - who is also one of the Founding Members of this forum and an experienced stress and burnout coach - to share a few tips to remind us about the need to focus on our physical and mental well-being. Lidia was amazing and shared this video from her course "Essential tools to enhance well-being".

So go ahead and try these exercises and tell @Lidia Lins what you think of them. Oh, and if you have a routine that you follow, feel free to share it here. I'm sure others will benefit from it. Prompting a few of you to try this out 🙂 @Andrea Hayward @Kakoli Majumder @chris leonard @Raj sundaram @Yufita Chinta @Karen Hall @Dahlia T @Asli Telli @Mohamed Samunn @Lafi Munira @Isurika Sevwandi @Simge M. Vit @Adaora Anyichie - Odis @Abdul Malik @Farshid Danesh @Gabriel Eduardo @Shruti Turner @Hong Ching Goh @Ruchika Yogesh @Soumi Paul @Omololu FAGBADEBO @Gustavo Arluna @Pipit Novita @Simge M. Vit@afsaneh Ghourchian @Suman Mundkur @Parul Nigam @Ajaya Bhattarai @Yuliya Shtaltovna @Allison Radwick @Annapoorna P K @Mdumiseni Mazula @Bhattacharya D

Happy International Yoga Day!

Tagged:

Comments

• Yuliya Shtaltovna
    Yuliya Shtaltovna Member Posts: 12

Great idea to share it))) Thank you

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 581 admin

@Lidia Lins love the video! I went very hard with HIIT last week and have been feeling sore since last Friday. Although I'd planned to rest today and not exercise, this short stretching session was just what I needed. Thank you so much for sharing this video with us! 😊

Also, I want to add that you have this beautiful unique quality of helping people feel relaxed and peaceful by just listening to your voice. I don't know about everyone else, but your videos always have a calming influence on me and I get back to my day feel energized and at ease ❤️😊

• Asli Telli
    Asli Telli Member Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

Amazing! These are almost identical to physical therapy exercises that I do daily for my neck and back. As a bonus, you can do them in a chair:) I must admit I had to turn to the chair alternative when I had a broken leg once; now realizing that these were actually yoga movements. Thank you so much @Lidia Lins for sharing and celebrating the Yoga Day with us and of course smilees to @Jayashree Rajagopalan for the warm solidarity😍

• Lidia Lins
    Lidia Lins Member Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

thank you for the feedback @Andrea Hayward. I had heard before that my voice was calming, some friends even sleep when I play and sing to them 😂

and thank you @Asli Telli! This exercise is part of a course I give to academics, so people who work a lot sitting on a chair. Glad it helped!

• Gustavo Arluna
    Gustavo Arluna Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Wow! And more wow! I love this community more and more every day! Thank you for sharing. It's just what I needed. Happy Yoga day! 🤗

• Gustavo Arluna

@Lidia Lins thank you for the video (and thank you @Jayashree Rajagopalan for tagging me!). I subscribed to your YouTube channel but I couldn't find this particular video for liking it.

• Lidia Lins
    Lidia Lins Member Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

Hi @Gustavo Arluna , thank you! this video is normally part of a paid course I give, and I made it available only for our community, that's why you can't find it listed on my channel.

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭✭

I am a fans of your mental health advices, @Lidia Lins. Now, I will be a fans of this yoga too. As @Asli Telli says, I didn't know that the movements are yoga. I have known the movements as parts of stretching. Thank you for sharing it, encouraging me to be healthy inside and outside. And thank you @Jayashree Rajagopalan for sharing this and tagging me.

As your fans, may I ask your advice on any yoga position for me who work while standing? I got a bad backpain in 2020, traumatizing me to sit on my chair. So I decide to work while standing up. Then I got fatigue on my legs and foots. Your advice will be tremendously helpful, if there are also many other R Voice members have the same problem with me.

• Gustavo Arluna

@Lidia Lins I see, thank you!!

• Raj sundaram
    Raj sundaram Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22

@Jayashree Rajagopalan - thanks for sharing this video and thanks to @Lidia Lins for making this video.

@Yufita Chinta -> will try to share something I do as a video a bit later.

[I need to start training in this aspect anyway - as a part of becoming a yoga therapist. 😂 May this be a good opportunity to start with this - making videos and sharing. 😊]

But basically - I do a lot of yoga en route life - standing, sitting, lying down, etc. Yes, as @Asli Telli implies - a lot of daily life movements are yoga if done consciously.

Standing poses

-> Start with mountain pose. Feel the weight in various parts of your feet. As you inhale and exhale

-> Gently swing back and forth, left and right - when standing on both your feet. Just move the body weight in various directions. Co-ordinate if possible with inhaling and exhaling.

-> Repeat above with arms (and if possible back) stretched out above you.

-> If you feel like it -> One-leg stands. Start with putting your left foot on the side of right leg calf and balancing your weight on the right foot. Then exchange the legs. Try balancing your weight on the left foot, with the right foot on the left leg calf.

-> Once you feel confident. Try balancing on each foot by putting the other foot on the side of the thigh.

-> If you have space and if your back is ok with it - you can also try bending - co-ordinated with breathing. From mountain pose -> Inhale, stretch the arms up -> exhale and bend down, if possible touch feet, stretch a bit -> inhale as you come back to mountain pose.

Because you seem to have an injury, please be careful with your back, though...Muri shinaide! (Dont overdo. Dont over-stretch 😉)

I do these in the lab during experiment waiting times. 😁 And it is pretty calming, while also strengthening my back/legs, etc.

• Gustavo Arluna

I used to do yoga with my kids sometimes with these videos that were broadcasted on national public TV. There I learned mountain pose, @Raj sundaram 😊

• Raj sundaram
    edited June 22

LOVE it!!! And so clever...

Marjariasana -> cat pose

Bithilasana -> Cow pose.

Vyaghraasana -> Tiger pose

Animals involved make an appearance...haha...😍

• Gustavo Arluna

@Raj sundaram yeah! To make it more attractive for kids. But my kids wouldn't do yoga unless I do it with them. So, imagine me doing those animal poses with them. 😁😊

• Raj sundaram
    edited June 22

@Gustavo Arluna - that is called positive feedback. Perhaps, your kids know that you need the yoga more than they do. They kind of know to deal with parents who go "Do as I say, not as I do"! 😂

I love the ambiguity between the cat and the tiger - mashed up into one animal character. That IS cool and clever. Mind blown, actually. Tigers belong to the cat family....the illustrators have shown serious creativity - whether they meant to or not...whether it was planned or by coincidence. 😎

I really appreciate how they have involved the animals that the poses are named after and not just chosen random animals....to make it simply attractive for kids...Logic is still maintained, extra education is imparted even through the smallest things like the choice of animals. That is awesome!

• Gustavo Arluna

@Raj sundaram you are right, actually I was the one that needed yoga the most (and still need it) to deal with my anxiety. 😅😊

I don't know very much about yoga deep roots, but I think that TV programme was made by people that are masters in yoga. Maybe that video that I found doesn't show the complete credits at the end, but I think I saw an institution related to yoga among those credits. By the way, I think that programme is a co-production between Colombian and Argentinian TV, that's why it is in Spanish.

• Dahlia T
    Dahlia T Member Posts: 91 ✭✭✭✭

@Lidia Lins , I enjoyed the video and I plan to incorporate it into my routine. I have been incorporating yoga and stretches into my weekly routine. This gives me a very nice alternative to mix it up a bit, and do chair versus mat from time to time.

PS: I second what the others said about your voice ...very soothing and makes you really want to do your best 🍃

I am purposefully driven to water the soil to grow the seed that is already planted. 

• Andrea Hayward

I just caught up with all the comments on this thread and I just want to say that I've never been part of any other group that conveys gratitude, compliments, kindness, and positive feedback the way WE do! Loving every minute of this 😍

• Gustavo Arluna

@Andrea Hayward welcome to R voice! (I am talking like the creator of the group, although I am not, lol. 😂😁)

• Andrea Hayward

LOL @Gustavo Arluna thank you so much! I feel honored 😎

Counting on you to welcome other new members with the same enthusiasm! 😃

• Gustavo Arluna

@Andrea Hayward count on me! 😎👍😁😁

• Yufita Chinta

I love the video too, @Gustavo Arluna. Entertaining and the poses are easy to be followed.

Thanks so much for the detail guidance, @Raj sundaram. I've tried and I feel like doing a kungfu-like movement 😂 I enjoy it anyway, thank you.

• Raj sundaram
    edited June 25

@Yufita Chinta This is partly what I meant (no Kung fu )😂

The person in the video is my yoga teacher. 😊

Enjoy!

• Gustavo Arluna

@Yufita Chinta I am glad you liked the video.

I loved the video you shared, too. I like the way japanese videos are produced with too many graphics, in a "manga" way. They make it so friendly to watch. And the exercises seems to be so relaxing. 😊

I am curious to know if you speak japanese.

• Yufita Chinta

@Raj sundaram it's absolutely no Kung-fu inside 🤣 I guess I did wrong yoga position then 🤣

hi @Gustavo Arluna It's not me, but @Raj sundaram, who share the Japanese yoga video. The credit should be given to her. About your curiosity, yes I can speak Japanese and so can @Raj sundaram I think. Welcome to the manga world, @Gustavo Arluna 😁

• Gustavo Arluna

@Yufita Chinta すごい! (Sugoi!) Great!

Well, actually, I don't speak japanese, but I made a try some time ago. I know hiragana, katakana and some kanjis and words, but grammar is so hard! Requires more time. 😅

@Raj sundaram sorry for the mistake and thank you for the video! 😅

• Andrea Hayward

Hahaha @Yufita Chinta and just like that...your comments on Kung-Fu-like Yoga movements have made my week! 😄

• Raj sundaram

@Gustavo Arluna - no problem. Hope you enjoyed the video and all its Manga characteristics. 😂

• Gustavo Arluna

@Raj sundaram yeah, I really enjoyed it. 😁👍😂