What's the best self-care advice you've ever gotten? — R Voice

What's the best self-care advice you've ever gotten?

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 454 admin

Those people in our lives who remind us that we're loved and encourage us to take care of ourselves are some of the best people we'll ever meet and we're lucky to have them! 😊

I got the BEST self-care advice at a time when I was overworking myself, overly concerned about productivity and refusing to take breaks even when I knew I needed them -- "The work you put out will only be as good as you're feeling. So take care of yourself first and the work will follow."

A while ago, I asked this question on Twitter and was amazed by some of the responses. Here are a couple -

What about you? What's the best self-care advice you've ever gotten?

Best Answers

• Mdumiseni Mazula
    Mdumiseni Mazula Member Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

First of all I think staying strong is the power that makes you think positive things just before others courage you if you think positive then your thoughts will be positive too if you think negative then the stress that's right 👉🏼 there.

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 102 ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

thank you for bringing up this thread, @Andrea Hayward

The best self-care advice I've ever gotten is ぼちぼち (bochi bochi_red) from my grand-father in law. Literally, it means 'little by little' and my grand-father wants to say "not necessary to hurry, dear". This advice means a lot to me, especially in the days when I lack of self-attention but push myself too much to reach the deadlines and when panic or stress attacks are coming.

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

No idea where I heard this/saw this or if it was a conversation but the one that sticks with me (that I'm still learning to do all the time!) is:-

Don't compare yourself to others who seem in the same position. Everyone's journey is unique and people don't tend to share their struggles.

I like to embrace this in two ways. First that I need to stop getting down about others who seem "better" than me and to stop downplaying my own achievements. The second way is that I do share where things haven't been so easy, okay not to everyone but if people are struggling I don't just keep quiet but I reassure them where I have struggled too and how I got through it.

Answers

• Mdumiseni Mazula
    Mdumiseni Mazula Member Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

And being honest a researcher life is not easy at all 😔

• Andrea Hayward

@Yufita Chinta simple, yet such wise and profound words by your Grandfather. ❤️

Thank you so much for sharing this with us 😊

• Andrea Hayward

This is a great one @Shruti Turner! I fully agree with trying not to compare ourselves to others who seem to be in the same position. People only reveal what they choose to reveal, and most of it tends to be positive - success, achievements, happy times, etc. We can never truly know what someone else is going through, so it's best to not let something make us feel a certain way, especially when there's no way for us to know the full story.

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

Use of Twitter has been banned in Nigeria. I guess self love and self care will help

• Andrea Hayward

@Adaora Anyichie - Odis oh no, I wasn't aware of this. I'd hate for you to miss out on the tweets I shared above, so I'm copying the text for you here. Hope you find these helpful 😊

"A trusted mentor told me that saying NO is just as important as saying YES and that I help no one by over-committing myself. It really freed me to say no to things that were not serving me and to just let go and not obsess about disappointing them. That's been huge for me." (Source: Dr. Sherran Clarence @PhDgirlSA)

"For me it was simply something along the lines of: don't let the bad days, the bad times define you. Each day is new, what was bad yesterday may not be so bad tomorrow. It just helps me put everything into perspective." (Source: Dr. Erica Hawkins @ScientistErica)

"For me best advice I got was not to let rejections and scientific failures define yourself. It's not about your personality but it's only part of the job. You fail, you get rejected and you can take the chance to learn and grow (not always). Sometimes it's hard to remember it :)" (Source: Stefano Zucca @StefanoZucca5)