How do you ease yourself into work on a Monday? — R Voice

How do you ease yourself into work on a Monday?

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 192 admin
edited June 7 in Everything & Anything

Hi folks! As we prep to take on yet another work-week, I have a very relatable question for Monday Morning! Here goes -- After taking a break over the weekend, it's not uncommon to experience guilt and feel like we have to jump right in and be mega productive on a Monday. Sure, there's absolutely no reason for us to feel this way, but it still happens and we must deal with it. 😕

On days like these, how do you ease yourself into work at the start of the week?

Comments

• Andrea Hayward

I just want to start off this discussion by honestly admitting that I don't have the answers here. In fact, although I believe that "easing into work" is definitely the way to go, it's something I personally struggle with. I find myself panicking on a Monday morning if I haven't "DONE" something or at least mapped out my day by 11 am. It makes me feel very anxious and unsettled, and I've been working towards improving how I deal with this.

Would love to hear what your experience is or how you try and ease into work. 😊

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    edited June 8

My initial reaction to your question is "sometimes with great difficulty and others with excitement!!"

I'm so sorry you had the Monday blues, @Andrea Hayward. It's such a rubbish feeling. i hope you managed to pull through it yesterday.

Focusing on the with great difficulty (especially when working from home!) I set myself up in my physical environment for work. The days I most want to work from the sofa are the days I force myself to tidy my makeshift desk and set out my notebooks and pens. I usually like to have. alist made up and the end of the previous work day, but I have to admit that on Friday afternoons I am a bit lax. So, whilst I put the kettle on for a pot of tea, I write my list of what needs doing and then I prioritise the list, starting with what feels easiest to do for me at the time. Sometimes that is emails, others it really isn't and maybe I want to get stuck into some writing for example. Any big tasks, I break into smaller steps so I feel they're more achievable - and also I can have the satisfaction of crossing through an item sooner.

I feel planning my time is. the first step to starting to feel in control and it's an underrated part of work life I think. Sometimes this is what I need to kick start my motivation and other times it's more tough. I give myself a little "task" of not looking at my phone/social media until a set time in the future (usually an on the hour or half hour time just for neatness) - I find this works well. There are times where I feel I'm watching the clock tick over so slowly that I make myself work to alleviate the boredem and then I sail past the time I set for a break.

If I am still not motivated by that time, I have a change of plan and try and pick something else to do for work. Sometimes that helps, other times I just need to get away and have a short walk or yoga to clear my head and focus in on what it is that I feel best able to work on when I'm back to my desk. Also, how I want to work...somedays I like to make notes and plan on paper, other times on the computer.

Long story short....setting up the space around me is the first step for me, including what I'm working on and how. Not forgetting the all important pot of tea!

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    edited June 10

OMG, @Andrea Hayward. I think you read my brain 😅, since I was getting the feeling on this Monday and other Mondays and wanted to find some solutions from R Voice members.

Thanks to @Shruti Turner for the tips. I do love how you scheduling the tasks and preparing alternative plans for getting the motivation. I think I can have a try.

I, myself, always try to list up what I have done in the current week and what are remained and need to be done for the coming week on Friday evening. I know I won't be so excited on Monday morning, so I schedule some easy tasks on it. When I can't call the motivation on the Monday morning, I usually entertain (warming-up) myself by singing and dancing or photographing myself (narcist 😁). If I feel good and comfort with myself after then, I will be ready for the tasks.

• Raj sundaram
    Raj sundaram Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭✭

@Shruti Turner and @Yufita Chinta have provided excellent inputs. The idea of rituals and doing easy tasks from Shruthi and dancing to warm up from Yufita Chinta are awesome.

Chipping in a bit late.

Monday blues are a regular feature in my life - so completely relate, @Andrea Hayward .

Going easy whenever possible - starting a bit late, starting with easy tasks/routine tasks that dont need effort - mentally, physically, emotionally is one way that works.

Depending on how I feel and circumstances, I also do the following on Monday mornings. I try to take some time to look at the big picture. Look a bit back, say to the previous week/month, see how much has been accomplished, what needs to be accomplished, and then plan for the coming week on this basis.

The other thing I have done (and works for me) is making a schedule for monday for a task to be done with someone else. And making this as the first task of the day. It could be minor paper work/experiments/instrument maintenance. Something light/something fun or something that I might like even if it is a lot of effort for a monday morning. Making a commitment with someone ELSE seems to help, as far as I actually dont dislike working with this person (minimum requirement)...and that offers plenty of choices. Haha.

Other days, depending on circumstances, I just resign to the fact that I have to start the week forcing myself to - kicking and screaming. 😂 Not every day needs to be a happy day, we dont have to like everything we do all the time. But what needs to be done - needs to be done - is the reality. Sometimes, I just resign to "eating the frog" with starting the week. It kind of gets better/we figure out things as the week proceeds...usually. That is a long established pattern. And I try to remind myself "Tomorrow might be better, after all" as I go about "eating my frog".

Hope Mondays get better for you, and all of us. 🤗

• Hong Ching Goh
    Hong Ching Goh Member Posts: 11 ✭✭

@Andrea Hayward Strange enough that now, I get excited about Friday and relatively pay lesser attention to Monday (although not really too blue for me all this while), that helps to cheer me up and I realize that Friday evening has become my favorite of the week !!!

Perhaps changing the focus, sending the Monday blue less energy would help? ;) *hugs

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner thank you for such a detailed response. Monday Blues is definitely a rubbish feeling - I couldn't agree more!

I found it very interesting that setting up your workspace is one of the first things you do. I've never really considered whether this affects me and how much, but I think I'm going to give this some serious thought now. I agree with what you said about "planning your time" being an underrated part of work. It took me back to my days as a naïve intern when I thought I could function without a list (I was so wrong! 😅 ). I find that planning my day or even my week at the start of the week really help me get through the week. I guess that interim period on a Monday morning, during which I'm not quite sure what I'm working on yet, makes me anxious and worried. Going to try your method of making my Monday's to-do list on Friday evening, just before I shut shop for the weekend. Another piece of advice I recently got that I quite liked, was to treat Monday as a planning day and not expect too much more from yourself - that way you plan on Monday and you do through the rest of the week. 😃

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

I don't know where I'd be without my lists...in all walks of life. It makes me feel some form of control even if I have none! Nothing worries me more than an empty to do list.

Monday as a planning day sounds like great advice if you have the flexibility to do it! I feel like giving ourselves time to ease into the week should be seen as similar to the end of the week wind-down. Whilst not official, Friday afternoon is generally considered wrap-up time, so why is Monday morning not a set-up/planning time?!

I'd love to hear how you get on next week with the new routine :)

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner Friday afternoon is generally considered wrap-up time, so why is Monday morning not a set-up/planning time?! - LOVE THIS 😍

Since today is already Friday, I'm going to give the new routine a shot and list at least a few things I'm sure I'll need to get done on Monday.

• Andrea Hayward
    edited June 11

@Yufita Chinta I think it's safe to say you can join the List-Maker Club along with @Shruti Turner and myself lol 😄

I really like the idea of scheduling relatively easier tasks for a Monday morning. I guess it's one way to get stuff done sooner and not feel like you've wasted the day. I also love that you have a personal routine to get into a Monday Motivation Mood! "If I feel good and comfort with myself after then, I will be ready for the tasks" - This is so SO important and I think a lot of us (myself included) forget about it because we're usually focused on getting the job done regardless of how we feel.

Of late, ever since @Dahlia T's reading list post, I've been starting my day with a little reading time. I usually read something that has nothing to do with work, and is just for me. It could be just 15-20 minutes but it makes a big difference. This way, I'm not rushing straight out of my bed into work, and I've had time to really experience my morning and enjoy a little quite time before thinking about my tasks for the day. It's been very calming!

• Andrea Hayward

@Hong Ching Goh Absolutely! I'm going to work towards not allowing Monday or the Monday Blues take up too much of my energy. Glad to hear that Friday evenings qualify as your favorite time of the week. And it should! Given all we've accomplished over the week and the amount of time and effort we've put it, Friday evening surely calls for a celebration 😎

• Andrea Hayward

@Raj sundaram interesting inputs as always! Love the bit about reflecting on the work done in the previous week and overall up until that point. I feel like looking at the big picture and acknowledging things that have already been accomplished can be a good way to start the week. Even though we know we're not starting from scratch each Monday morning, a gentle reminder couldn't hurt. 🙂

I find your committing to working on something with someone else on a Monday morning incredibly brave 🙈 I'm not a very morning person, so I try and keep to myself until all of my "grumpiness" has settled lol. I'm sure this has me sounding very "troll under the bridge" but I'm being honest 😂

Still, I appreciate the suggestion and would love to try it out someday. I have an alternate version that I do already. I don't mind having to do a task which involves a deliverable for someone else or when I know someone is waiting to hear from me. That definitely fuels my motivation on a Monday morning because I'd hate to keep the other person waiting.

• Raj sundaram

Haha...I meant commitment in the same sense as you mention. I'd hate to keep another person waiting. We are on the same page here. Yes, it needn't be with someone...I guess it needs to involve another person and be for someone. motivating...yes, it is. 🙃

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

a List-Maker Club, @Andrea Hayward. What a good idea. Let me know if you need a accompany, @Shruti Turner 😆

And thank you for naming my personal routine as 'triple M' (Monday Motivation Mood), @Andrea Hayward. I'll be thinking to use it as a name of a big project, such as 'triple R' (Reuse, Reduce, Recycle) 😁

• Hong Ching Goh
    Hong Ching Goh Member Posts: 11 ✭✭

@Jayashree Rajagopalan thanks for cheering up my Monday evening here!!! I wished to give your post both AWESOME and LOL but I had to choose one!!!

• Raj sundaram

Love... absolutely love the idea of Mondolences. 🤣🤯 mind blown, actually!!!

You've got to trademark it....get IP rights....or something.....asap, @Jayashree Rajagopalan. I'm dead serious.

• Andrea Hayward

Hahaha @Yufita Chinta calling it "Triple M" makes it so much cooler! I think you'll need to start adding a fun hat and a pair of tinted sunglasses to this morning mix now 😄

• Andrea Hayward

LOL @Jayashree Rajagopalan Mondolences is genius! I agree with @Raj sundaram, you need to trademark this. I can already visualize t-shirts and coffee mugs and I'd be happy to place the first order 😃

Also, this comment made me think back to how much easier getting through a Monday was when we were office bay partners *sniffs dramatically*

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 103 admin
  • Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 103 admin

Yeah @Andrea Hayward - if we were still travelling to and meeting in office, I might have printed a tee just for you!

• Raj sundaram

Where do I place an order for my Mondolences t-shirt and mug!🤔

Excellent next step, @Andrea Hayward ! That is a merch business waiting to happen. Like how "shit happens" took off.

I've added the word to my phone's dictionary. I'm serious!🙃

• Andrea Hayward

@Raj sundaram I'm sure that if the pandemic wasn't holding us back and that if @Jayashree Rajagopalan and I still had the luxury of sharing office space, we would have stirred up some trouble in the t-shirt business lol 😄

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Mondays are for checking mails, creating to do list for the week, networking and doing little research.