What's the one thing you want to know about how journal publishing works? — R Voice

What's the one thing you want to know about how journal publishing works?

Kakoli Majumder
Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 66 admin
edited May 26 in Publication Support

I'm excited about Friday's event! Let's get the conversation started. Keep posting all your questions here and Chris will take them during the session. @Parul Nigam @Prajjwal Dhungana @Soumi Paul @Shruti Turner @Ruchika Yogesh @Tania Laghari @Tony Nwankwo @Lafi Munira @Pipit Novita @Raj sundaram @Aniqa Arslan Look forward to your questions! :) If you still haven't registered for the event, do so here: https://bit.ly/3ukNtJv

Comments

• Pipit Novita
    Pipit Novita Member Posts: 1

How do you make a balance between claiming your contribution and also being realistic about the limitation of the study?

• Kakoli Majumder

Here's a question from Sritama Maitra:

How to identify the 'scope' of a journal effectively? (I have experienced being told several times that my article didn't fit the scope, although I thought that it did).

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 185 admin

Here's one that Gayathri Devi sent us:

On what basis does the journal decide that a paper is “out of scope” and desk reject it?

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 88 admin

Wow @Kakoli Majumder @chris leonard - I'm looking forward to this one. Here's my question:

With more and more interdisciplinarity featuring in research projects, many researchers pursue research enquiries that cover two or more fields. And this is what I've heard researchers ask often: "How can I go about finding the right journal for interdisciplinary research? I have approached a couple of interdisciplinary journals in the past but have been rejected because my paper was always outside the journal's scope. How, then, can I go about shortlisting journals for such research?"

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 13 ✭✭

Every journal has its scope that is usually defined. Thus, it is easier to decipher if a manuscript does not fall within that scope. I have experienced this once when the editor informed me that having perused the manuscript, it was desk reject because it was outside the scope. And that it was not sent to reviewers. Prior to assigning a manuscript for a peer review process, the editor would have read through to ascertain the scope covered by the contents.

One thing at a time

• Parul Nigam
    Parul Nigam Member Posts: 5

Hlw, Good evening,

My question is that, I have read somewhere that if I am reading someone's else research and then quoting mine research with reference to theirs, that article can also be called a Research Article? or it will be only review?

Can a thesis/ article be written by watching authenticated videos related to that particular research?

• Soumi Paul
    Soumi Paul Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

I would really like to share that it is very difficult to find a suitable journal to send the interdisciplinary manuscript for publication. Even the journals within scope deny saying not within the scope or simply rejections without any comment or evaluation. Besides, journals lack reviewers too with diverse subject knowledge. So, what do you suggest for overcoming these situations and finding a potential journal for paper submission?

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Once, I was asked to put the name of all lab members on my very first paper. Actually, they did not contribute either to the experiment or the manuscript. How to know whom should or not be the co-authors? And, how to deal with a supervisor who insists to put all lab member names on?

Looking forward to the event 🙂

• Soumi Paul

My supervisor did not insist, though. She suggested the same when I asked her. She said it'd be a mutual benefit for everyone in the lab as someone else also will put my name. Although, I never agree to such a mutual benefit. Unfortunately, I could not refuse her suggestion considering my position as a Ph.D. candidate. This sort of activity, on one hand, reduces competition among the lab mates, on the other hand, it's unjustified. Some balance act should happen in this case to ease the confusion.

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

the supervisor said the same reason to me, @Soumi Paul But it becomes unfair because my name never appear in the papers of my senior when we were there together for 2 years. Unfortunately, nothing I can do but accept it and put all the names and receive the unfairness.

I feel fine about that for nowadays. I am proud of myself and my work, because I know the most of the content. Just curious what should I do if it happens again in the future.

• Kakoli Majumder
    edited May 28

@Tony Nwankwo I'm sorry we couldn't take your question during the session. Here's the response to your question:

Question: When writing an academic paper, are there limitations to the number of times you can cite a particular paper? For instance, citing a paper 2 or 3 times.

Answer: There are no limitations to the number of times you can cite one specific paper in your manuscript. You can cite the paper as many times as you need to, but it still remains a single citation - that is, the paper can appear only once in your reference list.

• Kakoli Majumder

@Chisom Nwokolo You asked a very important question, which unfortunately, we could not take during the session due to lack of time. Here's the answer to your question:

Question: What is the best way to identify predatory journals?

Here's an article I had posted a while back that should answer your question. I would also recommend that use the Think.Check.Submit checklist before you submit to a journal to ensure that it's a reliable one.

• Kakoli Majumder
    edited May 28

@Chisom Egwim Thank you for asking an interesting question: "How do I connect with other researchers in my field?" As @chris leonard suggested in his response, following researchers from your field on social media, specifically Twitter, and engaging with their tweets can be a great way to connect. Apart from this, here are the tools he recommended using to connect with others from your field

• Kakoli Majumder
    edited June 3

@Yufita Chinta Here's the tool @chris leonard recommended in his answer to your question on plagiarism and Gayathri's question on how to avoid desk rejection. You can use this tool to check the submission readiness of your manuscript.

• Soumi Paul

Well, I am yet to experience any such unfairness. But, yes, we must voice this issue and look for a possible fair solution.

• Tony Nwankwo
    Tony Nwankwo Member Posts: 9

@Kakoli Majumder thanks for your response to my question. Am satisfied with it.