Greetings to this wonderful research family. — R Voice

Greetings to this wonderful research family.

Am Tony, from Nigeria, currently doing my PhD.

It's a pleasure being part of this research community where we share and acquire new knowledge.

I enjoy reading, engaging in discussions, music, playing games and meeting new friends.

Comments

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 103 admin

Hi @Tony Nwankwo - good to see you here. Look forward to hearing your experiences and learnings as a PhD student (Also - what are you doing your PhD in?) You have an interesting mix of things you enjoy. We recently had a couple of discussions about what people like to listen to and read. It'd be nice to hear your choices too. Sharing the links with you here:

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 192 admin

@Tony Nwankwo this is such a pleasant surprise! We just spoke on the Researcher Voice Facebook Group yesterday and now you're here on the R Voice Community platform. It's great to have you here and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on some of the ongoing discussions. ☺️

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Hi @Tony Nwankwo - welcome to R Voice! I'm just about coming to the end of my PhD at the moment. How is it going for you? I'd love to hear more about what you're researching :)

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 67 admin

Hey @Tony Nwankwo Welcome to R Voice! It's so good to see another member of the Researcher Voice FB group here. Look forward to interacting with you here!

• Tony Nwankwo
    Tony Nwankwo Member Posts: 10

Thanks Kakoli, am glad to be here again. It has really been a wonderful experience being part of the R,voice community.

• Tony Nwankwo

Hi @Shruti Turner Thanks.

Congratulations in advance. How has the journey been to this point?

Am glad to hear you are about coming to the end of it all.

As for me I can say it's been a challenging adventure such that atimes I feel like to let go but I often tell myself that I can't give up what I passionately started. Hopefully before the year runs out I should be done with the program by God's grace.

As regards what am researching on, I observed that chronic stress in the workplace is increasingly becoming a global issue affecting the workers physical and psychological health, their performance and that of the organization.

So am taking a look at the management of stress at the workplace.

• Tony Nwankwo

😂 Really surprising. Happy to be here again. Hopefully we keep sharing ideas, experiences and impacting on one another.

😊

• Raj sundaram
    Raj sundaram Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭✭

@Tony Nwankwo : Welcome to RVoice and good luck with completing your program. So glad to see two people (you and @Shruti Turner) in similar situations (dare I say - crucial points with respect to the Ph.D) coming together to discuss experiences and cheer each other on. Seeing this, it feels great to be a part of the RVoice community. I literally went "Awww!!" and felt that if RVoice was a person - he/she/they would go "Mission [Level 1] accomplished!" 😊

[@Andrea Hayward , @Kakoli Majumder , @Jayashree Rajagopalan - what do you say? 😉]

Looking forward to more "Awww!" moments.

• Shruti Turner

@Tony Nwankwo - Thank you!! My journey has been up and down, to be honest. I've had the super high highs of success and feeling accomplished, and I've experienced the lows of rejection, frustration and lack of motivation. My love for the big picture of my research is what has kept me going throughout. I don't think any PhD is without either of those at some point. I am always open to chatting about either of those things if ever you'd like.

It sounds like your passion for your research will help you through to the end of your PhD - I wish you the best of luck and hope you mean your deadlines. Though, if I have learned anything from research is that it always takes longer than expected! your work sound vitally important with a potential of such a great positive impact on so many people.

• Tony Nwankwo

@Shruti Turner feeling accomplished is a sign of great achievement. I know your stress levels are almost coming to a zero point as far as your PhD is concerned.

It appears your journey was mostly filled with pleasant experiences. However, how were you able to deal with Your negative experiences like the rejection, low motivation etc. as you mentioned. Where they coming from your supervisor, family or the entire society. Hope you won't mind sharing that with me.

I really love it when you said that the big picture for your research helped in sustaining your motivation till this point. I think it's a good way to maintain focus while running the program.

Kudos 👍

• Shruti Turner

@Tony Nwankwo The negative experiences I think were mainly from within my own brain. I felt low/demotivated because I felt like I wasn't achieving enough, or making enough progress, or was getting paper rejections etc. This was all exacerbated when I compared myself to other people in the lab, but also looking at my friends out of academia with jobs and getting promotions etc. I'm very fortunate to have a supportive supervisor, which helped. I found seeing other people's experiences on Twitter were helpful in some ways, I wish there had been something like R Voice over the course of my PhD. It was difficult to talk to people in my lab because I felt I knew them just a bit too well, but not well enough (if that makes any sense) to open up, and no one out of academia really got what I meant.

What kept me going was my care for the positive impact my PhD could have on so many people. I've been working to improve prosthetic fit for people with amputations and I wanted to still help them. This was my motivation to keep going, though I will admit there were periods of unproductivity and I think that was when I was most burned out and just needed a break. I think we can only do our best work when we ourselves are in a good place.

Hope that helps!

• Tony Nwankwo

@Shruti Turner I must say that what you shared above are quite insightful and helpful as well.

I really do not know why PhD students at one point in their journey often feel that they aren't achieving enough while in reality, they are making good and significant effort.

Am not an exception to this as I have felt that way on several occasions.

And I think making comparisons atimes could be healthy. I was actually struggling with procrastination in my research until I did some kind of healthy comparisons of where others I started with are, where I am and where I ought to be which reawakened me to the realities on ground.

But gradually, am getting it off my shoulders.

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 192 admin
    edited May 26

I really enjoyed reading your exchange @Shruti Turner and @Tony Nwankwo! It made me feel that we were right to start a community like this one. Thank you both for being so honest and candid in sharing your journey 🤗

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Welcome my Brother to this wonderful and supportive family.

• Tony Nwankwo

@Adaora Anyichie - Odis , thank you so much. Hope you are good.

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Yes I am thank you.