Would you be able to take a mental health day if you really needed it? — R Voice

Would you be able to take a mental health day if you really needed it?

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 686 admin
edited May 2021 in Self-care & Wellbeing

Do you feel like your workplace/institution or your supervisor would be understanding and supportive if you told them you needed to take a mental health day?

P.S. This is an anonymous poll.

Would you be able to take a mental health day if you really needed it? 5 votes

Yes, absolutely!
40% 2 votes
No, not at all
20% 1 vote
I don't know, I've never asked
40% 2 votes
What's a mental health day?
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

From my experience, and looking at those around me, I think it is very much supervisor dependent (whilst a PhD student at least!) I am fortunate that my supervisor cares for us as people as well as researchers. She has been the first to tell me to take a break if I'm struggling. She in fact has sent me home on occasion and told me to take the day off. I think officially our university has a formal way of logging leave and days off etc for PhD students but I don't know anyone that uses it! For me it has worked out well because of my supervisor, I think for others the lack of formality can make it difficult to take any sort of leave, let alone for mental health, which still has unacceptable stigma around it.

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 686 admin

@Shruti Turner very interesting point! I posted this poll on Twitter as well and someone shared a similar perspective, while raising several important questions

I'm quite curious to know myself if the institution would even know if someone were to take a mental health day. Or if that would simply get logged as a sick/casual leave.

Also, very glad to learn that you work with such a kind and considerate supervisor! ☺️

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

@Andrea Hayward I know we have a system for logging absences/working from home etc for employed researchers. I don't know much about it as I haven't needed to use it, but I'm guessing it counts as a sick day. I don't know that there is a "mental health" specific log. Once I start work in a few months I should know more!