'Slow' scholarship - what do you think? — R Voice

'Slow' scholarship - what do you think?

chris leonard
chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 153 admin

I was aware of a 'slow' movement in many fields (cooking, being the first one that springs to mind) - but slow academia? I'd never heard of it before this article. Granted, this article is saying it's misguided at best, but would slow scholarship help alleviate mental health issues?

Comments

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing, @chris leonard. Before this thread, I had never heard of the "slow" concept applied to academia.

I like the idea of slowing down academia for the theoretical benefits to mental health. However, in reality, I'm not convinced it'll work unless what is required of people reduces (unfortunately). I think there needs to be a shift in the whole set-up of academia, right from teaching, expectations on research output, conferences and publications etc. Expectations and "FOMO" (to take the phrase from the article") aren't going to disappear unless there is a coordinated change, in my opinion. Maybe, I'm just being too pessimistic.

I would love to hear more views - I'll keep an eye on this thread :)

• Raj sundaram
    Raj sundaram Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭

Couldnt have said it better myself, @Shruti Turner. Not pessimistic, I think your viewpoint is based on reality. :)

Co-ordinated wide-scale top-down changes in the mindsets/attitudes and functioning styles of all parts of academia - from funding agencies, institutions/departments to the publishing industry.