Design Thinking (DT) in Research — R Voice

Design Thinking (DT) in Research

Mohamed Samunn
Mohamed Samunn Member Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

All of you are aware that DT is relatively in into every discipline. Recently, I was doing some references on DT in order to find stuff for a webinar of mine in the first week June on DT in SEN (Special Educational Needs.

A quote draw my attention.

"Design is a formal response to a strategic question." - Mariona Lopez.

Do what came to my mind is what if I apply DT to the research problem I'm exploring?

Any thought on this? By the way anyone here who has a DT background to would like to explore DT with me?

Best,

Samunn

Comments

• Soumi Paul
    Soumi Paul Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds very interesting, Sir. I hope to know more about it! ☺️

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 55 ✭✭✭

DT is about problem solving for special Education needs. Well done

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭✭

From my perspective Design Thinking is a process, like any, that is largely up to interpretation but has a few key areas: it's an iterative process to take into account the constant learnings of the process itself. I haven't used exactly the Design Thinking approach, but I have considered it alongside the Engineering Design approach, Design Council's Double Diamond etc. There are various ones that I think work for different people/teams and different circumstances. The great thing about all of these is that they can be applied to different contexts.

• Mohamed Samunn
    Mohamed Samunn Member Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

People with Disabilities (PWDs) are disabled by design - (Bennett, 2002).

I am a great admirer of this quote. My son is a wheelchair user. And Singapore is an inclusive environment by design. You can go to anywhere and everywhere in Singapore on a wheelchair without a caregiver. But, the moment we go out of Singapore for a holiday to a neighbouring country, every bit becomes a challenge for us.

I use DT in Special Educational Needs (SEN) set up to incorporate 3 aspects:

a). Use the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) framework for precisely.

b). Identify learning barriers in instruction.

c). Consider lesson design options to reduce or do away with the barriers I identified in b).

There is no such thing as the average learner. We all live on a continuum of difference - CAST.

So, DT matters.