Why the PhD journey can be very hard — R Voice

Why the PhD journey can be very hard

Jayashree Rajagopalan
Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 175 admin

Came across this tweet where a researcher has beautifully articulated a few real challenges in the PhD journey - especially those related to dealing with our personal lives along with research priorities.

Did you put anything on ice while dealing with your academic struggles?

Comments

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

I can relate to these tweets. Academic life can be tough in itself, by nature of the work that we do. But, yes, personal relationships, mental and physical health, tiredness, stress, global pandemic etc. I find all contribute to the difficulties. I am aware that I tend to shut myself away (literally and metaphorically) when I am struggling with my work, particularly when writing up my thesis I've been less efficient responding to messages, ignoring my phone, not really catching up with people. Being aware of it, I've tried to counter my natural instincts but it is tough and can sometimes even feel like more energy is used than it should. I think also, I have neglected looking after myself during my difficult times in academia (which really haven't helped!) - I'd stop sleeping or resting properly, wouldn't do my hobbies. I'm lucky to have a good support network both in and out of academia who help to keep me grounded, make sure I look after myself but also understand that academic life has its struggles that, in some cases, can't be avoided!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 175 admin

Thanks for sharing this @Shruti Turner - perhaps this awareness is a great step forward in itself. I too found these tweets relatable. I know that a lot of us aren't even aware of shutting our close circles or personal life out. I tend to do the same - and over the years this has led to my close circle trickling down to only a handful - but this is a handful of people who know me and understand why I do what I do. Glad to hear that you have a reliable support network - that's an absolute must for each and every one especially in academia.