Hello everyone, I am Robert — R Voice

Hello everyone, I am Robert

Hi all,

I am Robert from Italy.

I work in academia as an assistant professor focusing on Communication.

My research interests include media representation, research methods, health communication and citizen journalism.

Pleased to meet everyone, I hope we can have great discussions here and help each other to grow as professionals and individuals.

Comments

• Raj sundaram
    Raj sundaram Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome, @Roberto Spiezio . Your research topics are extremely interesting....

If I might ask out of curiosity, what parts of the globe do you focus on in your studies? I am also wondering what are your insights - as an expert - on health communication and media during this Pandemic. Can you share some of your views with us here?

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 577 admin

Hi @Roberto Spiezio - Welcome to the R Voice Community! 🙂

I'm with @Raj sundaram on this one - Your research interests sound incredibly interesting. Would love to learn more! Looking forward to gaining your perspective on some of the discussions here.

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 225 admin

Hi @Roberto Spiezio - Welcome! It's good to have you here. This IS a great place for a chat or brainstorming session on anything you want to bring up from your life and experiences as a researcher. I look forward to hearing about your view of things.

+1 to the other comments about your area of research...it sounds super interesting!

• Roberto Spiezio
    Roberto Spiezio Member Posts: 7

Great to meet you guys and thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be happy to share info about my research in my next post. Have a nice day!

• Raj sundaram
  • Roberto Spiezio
    Roberto Spiezio Member Posts: 7

@Raj sundaram @Andrea Hayward and @Jayashree R ,

I had written a post in response to your questions, but after trying to edit and save it, it disappeared. I don't know whether that happened because of a platform glitch, however it was a lengthy post whose exact words I can't now remember.

I will therefore try to summarize what I wrote, please bear with me.

The scope of my research encompasses the socio-cultural relationships between the West and East Asia as emerging in the media constructions of events, countries and socio-cultural phenomena. Over the past few years I have been living, studying and working in China and then Hong Kong, and that allowed me to see and study things first hand. That said, I like to keep an open mind, and catch opportunities to expand the focus of my work.

About the relationship between the pandemic and the media, I can tell you what I have been able to observe in my native country. There has been a rush, almost a race, on the mainstream media's part, towards adopting and propagating the monotonous governmental narrative about the pandemic in all its aspects, from its origins to the treatments. At the same time, the media has tried to establish itself as the sole herald of such "truths," openly fighting all the alternative voices on the matter, even when they were well-established and commonly acknowledged as being far from any tabloid-style, easy sensationalism, and labeling such voices as fake news and dangerous. This process, whatever ethical considerations we may make, has not rendered a good service to media pluralism, freedom and democracy in my view, as it deprived the people from learning the various aspects of such a complex matter.

• Raj sundaram

@Roberto Spiezio A very interesting take.

As a follow up question - and if I am not pushing it too far - what sort of alternative voices are you referring to? And curious - what has been the governmental narrative in Italy about the pandemic?

[Apologies for my ignorance. Havent looked for news about Italy beyond whatever (little) makes to the typical Reuters/AP/BBC-Europe headlines. Sifting useful information from the news of 4 different countries (with close family scattered across the globe) has been sufficiently overwhelming...😥]